Wayne's World of History and Genealogy

decorative bar top

Illinois Coal & Coal Mining
History & Genealogy

Macoupin County, Illinois decorative bar bottom
Coal Mines listed alphabetically
A    B    C    D    E    F    G
H    J    K    L    M    N    O
P    R    S    U    V    W

Coal Mines ~ A
- - - - -       - - - - -
Anchor Mine
      The legal description lists this as Macoupin County, and was in Mt. Olive Township. -
Main Shaft located :Township 7 North, Range 6 West, South, Section 15, NW SW SE
The Air Shaft was located at : Township 7 North, Range 6 West, South, Section 15, SW NW SE
This was an underground mine with a depth of 380 - 382 feet and an average coal seam
thickness of 6½ - 7½ feet.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Anchor Mine   Anchor Coal Company   1882-1886
Anchor Mine   Consolidated Coal Company of St. Louis   1886-1888
The last reported production was in March 1888
[Source - No. 2, Index 2896]
1885 Coal Report8
Collieries in Macoupin County, Illinois
Anchor Coal Company, Mt. Olive, Macoupin County, Illinois.
       This shaft has only worked about half the time during the year. The escapement shaft has been finished and ladders put in from bottom to top. There is an extensive plant here for mining coal by machinery. The coal cutting machines have not been used during the year; all mining has been done by hand. The colliery is now stopped with the strike in the Staunton district, and will not start up until fall.
       Wm. Giles, Superintendent.

 
Coal Mines ~ B
- - - - -       - - - - -
Bauser Mine
      The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 7 North, Range 8 West, Section 13
Bunker Hill Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Bauser & Truesdale   Bauser   1904 - 1911
Bauser   Bauser ( Ed. A. )   1911 - 1936
Gatschenburger & Voges   Gatschenburger & Voges   1937 - 1938
Bauser   Bauser ( Ed. A. )   1938 - 1940
[Source2 - Index 2898 ]
191823 (1911)
      Ed. A. Bauser, Bunker Hill, Illinois, has been in the retail coal business for sixteen years and is the lessee of the Bauser-Truesdale coal mine. He was born in St. Louis, Missouri, February 4, 1873.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Bell & Zoller Number 15 Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 7 North, Range 6 West, Section 9, NE, NW, NE, and was in Mt. Olive Township.
This was an underground mine with a depth of 387 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 7 - 7½ feet.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Consolidated No. 15   Consolidated Coal Company of St. Louis   1905 - 1951
Bell & Zoller No. 15   Bell & Zoller Coal & Mining Company   1951 - 1951
The last reported production was in May 1951.
[Source - No. 2, Index 68]
 
1904 Annual Coal Report 15
      The Consolidated Coal Co. of St. Louis. Mo., is sinking a new shaft two miles west of Mt. Olive. Macoupin County. This mine, when completed, will be known as No. 15. A spur will be run from the Wabash railroad to the mine.
 
1905 Annual Coal Report 16
      The Consolidated Coal Company of St. Louis, Mo., has put in operation during the year a new mine, one and a half miles west of Mount Olive, in Macoupin County; a spur from the Wabash railroad, a distance of 13,200 feet runs to the mine; this mine will be known as No. 15. Coal was reached in both hoisting and air shaft Nov. 2, 1904. The size of both shafts is 8 feet 10 inches by 15 feet 6 inches, and timbered with 8 inch curbing. The depth to the top of the coal is 362 feet. the coal seam is seven feet eight inches thick. Entries are driven from the bottom of the main shaft a distance of 400 feet; both shafts are connected and a substantial stairway is constructed in the air shaft for escapement. An eight foot Murphy fan has been installed to furnish ventilation and a wooden tower is being constructed with self dumping cages and shaker screens. Four boilers have been installed, each 72 inches in diameter by 18 feet long, containing 70 four inch tubes. Each boiler is rated at 175-horse power. A straight Sullivan air compressor is installed to furnish power for the coal cutting machines; punching machines are to be used. The hoisting engines are 24 x 36 inches. The engine room, compressor room, tipple and boiler house are constructed with corrugated iron. A 30,000-gallon water tank, and a coal washer having a capacity of 100 tons per hour have been installed.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Bode Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 10 North, Range 9 West, Section 29
Western Mound Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Belby Mine   Belby ( Thomas )   1878 - 1879
Rudolph & Belby Mine   Rudolph & Belby   1881 - 1883
Belby Mine   Belby & Company   1883 - 1885
Belby Mine   Belby & Rudolph   1885 - 1886
Belby Mine   Belby & Company   1886 - 1890
Bode Mine   Bode ( August )   1894 - 1909
[Source2 - Index 2922 ]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Bowman & Johnson Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 10 North, Range 9 West, Section 30
Western Mound Township
Bowman & Johnson Mine History
Mine Name Operated By Years
Bowman & Johnson Mine   Bowman & Johnson   1936 - 1936
[Source2 - Index 2926 ]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Bremen Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 9 North, Range 9 West, Section 21
Chesterfield Township
This is a long-wall mine with a coal seam of 2 feet 10 inches.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Davis Mine   Davis Coal Company   1878 - 1882
Chesterfield Mine   Chesterfield Coal & Mining Company   1882 - 1888
Bremen Mine   Bremen Coal Company   1893 - 1894
[Source2 - Index 2911 ]
1885 Annual Coal Report8
Chesterfield Coal and Mining Co.
During the year this company has sunk an escapement shaft which is just finished. Ladders will be put in and a ventilating fan erected at the escapement shaft. This is a long-wall mine. The coal seam is 2 feet 10 inches in thickness, of a very good quality. If water could be got at the mine this coal could be manufactured into a fair article of coke. Owing to the receivers of the Wabash system having taken some of the trains off the road, very little business has been done at the mine during the year.
Morris R. Locke, Superintendent.
J. Williams, Mine Manager.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Bunker Hill Mine   /   Neil Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 7 North, Range 8 West, Section 14
Bunker Hill Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Neil Mine   Neil ( William )   1879 - 1882
Bunker Hill Mine   Bunker Hill Coal Company   1882 - 1893
Neil Mine   Neil ( William ) & Company   1893 - 1912
[Source2 - Index 281 ]
1884 Biennial Report7
The Bunker Hill Coal Co.
This mine is located within the corporate limits of the village of Bunker Hill, on the line of the Indianapolis and St. Louis Railroad. The shaft is 250 feet deep, the coal averaging 5½ feet in thickness. It is hoisted by a single engine 10 x 20, hoisting drum 5 feet in diameter, ropes 1 inch, one boiler 40" x 26'. This company has sunk an escapement shaft during the year, and put in ladders from bottom to top. They have erected a Brazil, Ind., fan, 10 feet in diameter, to be worked by rope gearing. The fan is located at the escapement shaft.
Manager, J. Baur ;
Underground Manager, Peter Neil.
 
1885 Annual Coal Report8
Bunker Hill Coal Co.
This mine has been worked very successfully during the year, and some improvements have been made. All new entries are to be opened up double. The ventilation is good, executed by a ten-foot fan, which is run by wire rope gearing. The power is transmitted from an engine at the hoisting shaft, 600 feet from the fan, which is located at the escapement shaft, and ladders have been put in the escapement shaft.
A. E. Bauer, Manager.
Peter Neil, Mine Manager.
 
1893 Annual Coal Report11
Bunker Hill Coal Co.
 
1913 Annual Coal Report18
Abandoned Mines - William Neill, Bunker Hill, Macoupin County, Illinois,
- - - - -       - - - - -

 
Coal Mines ~ C
- - - - -       - - - - -
Chesterfield Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 9 North, Range 9 West, Section 1
Chesterfield Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Chesterfield Mine   Chesterfield Coal Company   Circa 1893
[Source2 - Index 4541 ]
1894 Annual Coal Report12
Abandoned Mines
The mine of the Chesterfield Coal Company was drained, a small amount of coal taken out and again allowed to fill with water.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Consolidated No. 6 Mine
      The legal description lists this as Macoupin County, and was in Staunton Township. -
Main Shaft located :Township 7 North, Range 6 West, South, Section 32, NW NE SW
The Air Shaft was located at : Township 7 North, Range 6 West, South, Section 32, NW NE SW
The Escape Shaft was located at : Township 7 North, Range 6 West, South, Section 29, SE SW SE
      The Escape Shaft was formerly the Main Shaft for Staunton No. 5 Mine
This was an underground mine with a depth of 309 - 325 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 6 - 7½ feet.
Mine Name Operated By Years
According to the History of Macoupin County1, Henry Voge sank this shaft in 1877 or 1880
Ridgely, Sutton & Daniels No. 6 Mine   Ridgely, Sutton & Daniels   1881-1882
Ellsworth No. 6 Mine   Ellsworth Coal Company   1882-1886
Consolidated No. 6 Mine   Consolidated Coal Company of St. Louis   1886-1896
Consolidated No. 6 Mine   T. E. Weisenbaum   1896-1897
Consolidated No. 6 Mine   Consolidated Coal Company of St. Louis   1897-1909
The last reported production was in 1909
[Source - No. 2, Index 762]
1885 Coal Report8
Collieries in Macoupin County, Illinois
Ellsworth Coal Company, No. 6 Colliery, Staunton, Macoupin County, Illinois.
      This is the banner colliery of the Ellsworth Coal Co., but owing to the strike in the Staunton district the output fell considerably short this year. The mine is well ventilated by a six foot Murphy fan, having a split for each of the entries. Overcasts are put in for each set of entries, carrying the return air over the intake air. The manager has introduced water gauges on the two main splits at the bottom of the downcast to give the drag of the air in the mine. Everything above and below shows good management.
      J. D. Crabb, Superintendent.
      J. P. Hebensteit, Mine Manager.
 
1905 Annual Coal Report 16
Improvements In Mines
      At mine No. 6, Staunton, Macoupin County, owned by the Consolidated Coal Co., there has been installed one John O'Brien boiler, 6 x 18 feet with 70 four-inch tubes rated at 157-horse power. Pipes have been placed for pneumatic signals, but are not yet in operation on account of air chambers not being received.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Consolidated No. 8 Mine
      The legal description lists this as Macoupin County, and was in Mt. Olive Township. -
Main Shaft located :Township 7 North, Range 6 West, South, Section 11, NW NE SW
The Air Shaft was located at : Township 7 North, Range 6 West, South, Section 2, SW SE SE
This was an underground mine with a depth of 400 - 440 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 7½ - 8 feet.
Mine Name Operated By Years
South Mt. Olive Mine   South Mt. Olive Coal Company   1881-1883
Ellsworth No. 8 Mine   Ellsworth Coal & Mining Company   1883-1886
Consolidated No. 8 Mine   Consolidated Coal Company of St. Louis   1886-1914
The last reported production was March 31, 1914.
[Source - No. 2, Index 761]
1904 Annual Coal Report 15
      At this company's [The Consolidated Coal Co. of St. Louis, Mo.] No. 8 mine. Mount Olive. Macoupin County, a new tower has been built, also a tipple-hoist with shaker screens and dump cages: three new boilers, each 72 inches in diameter by 18 feet long, rated at 157-horse power, have been put in. The mine tracks have been relaid with 30-pound rails: a l00 K. V. generator has been installed with two ten-ton electric motors for mine haulage.
 
1905 Annual Coal Report 16
Improvements In Mines
      At mine No. 8, located at Mt. Olve, Macoupin County, owned by the Consolidated Coal Co., a new wooden tipple has been constructed; self-dumping cages and shaker screens have also been introduced. Two John O'Brien boilers, 72 inches by 18 feet have been installed, each boiler having 70 four-inch tubes and rated at 157 horse-power. There have also been installed one 250 K. W. generator of the general electric type. The main east and west entries, also the 14th south on the east side have been laid with 30-pound steel rails. Two 10-ton general electric mine motors have also been put in operation; pneumatic signals have been put in are now in operation.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Note :
      The Air Shaft located in Section 2 of Mt. Olive Township was used as the Main Shaft for Consolidated No. 9 Mine, and was also used as the Air Shaft for Consolidated No. 10 Mine.
 
1885 Coal Report8
Collieries in Macoupin County, Illinois
Ellsworth Coal Company, No. 9 and 10 Colliery, Mt. Olive, Macoupin County, Illinois.
      These mines worked very steadily up to March 1, 1885, when the yearly contract of the miners expired. The mines were stopped until the 8th of June, 1885. The underground works have all been remodeled from single to double entry and the hauling tracks have been reconstructed. A considerable length of double track has been extended in main and lateral entries. The underground works are in very good shape for a rapid movement of coal. The furnace is still used for the ventilation of the mines, but it is the intention of the company, when Nos. 8 and 9 are connected with each other underground, to put in a large fan to ventilate all three of the shafts, Nos. 8, 9 and 10. The fan is to be located at No. 9, or the middle shaft as they now stand.
      F. R. Fisher, Superintendent.
      Wm. D. Golden, Mine Manager.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Consolidated No. 9 Mine
      The legal description lists this as Macoupin County, Township 7 North, Range 6 West, South, Section 2, and was in Mt. Olive Township.
This was an underground mine with a depth of 416 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 8 feet.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Unknown   Unknown   1874-1881
          In 1874, (according to History of Macoupin County1),
A. J. & C. J. Keiser, as owners of Mt. Olive Coal Company,
sunk a shaft that corresponds to this location.
      The 1875 Atlas of Macoupin County, Illinois4
shows a shaft at this location.
Mt. Olive Mine   Mt. Olive Coal & Mining Company   1881-1883
Ellsworth No. 9 Mine   Ellsworth Coal & Mining Company   1883-1886
Consolidated No. 9 Mine   Consolidated Coal Company of St. Louis   1886-1914
[Source - No. 2, Index 2895]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Consolidated No. 10 Mine
      The legal description lists this as Macoupin County, and was in Mt. Olive Township. -
Main Shaft located :Township 7 North, Range 6 West, South, Section 2, NE SE SE
The Air Shaft was located at : Township 7 North, Range 6 West, South, Section 2, SW SE SE
This was an underground mine with a depth of 420 - 431 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 8 feet.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Keiser   Keiser   1877-1879
          In 1877, (according to History of Macoupin County1),
A. J. & C. J. Keiser, as owners of Mt. Olive Coal Company,
sunk a shaft that corresponds to this location.
Mt. Olive Mine   Mt. Olive Coal Company   1881-1883
Ellsworth No. 10 Mine   Ellsworth Coal & Mining Company   1883-1886
Consolidated No. 8 Mine   Consolidated Coal Company of St. Louis   1886-1909
The last reported production was in 1909. Maps show this abandoned September 1, 1909.
[Source - No. 2, Index 2894]
1904 Annual Coal Report 15
      At the [The Consolidated Coal Co. of St. Louis, Mo.] No. 10 mine. Mount Olive new boilers have been put in. each boiler is 72 inches in diameter by 18 feet long, rated at 150-horse power. A Sullivan air compressor has also been installed, a steam cylinder 34 inches in diameter, a high pressure cylinder 16 inches in diameter, and a lower pressure cylinder 26 inches in diameter.
 
1905 Annual Coal Report 16
Improvements In Mines
      At mine No. 10, also located at Mt. Olive, Macoupin County, owned by the Consolidated Coal Co., two John O'Brien boilers, 72 inches by 18 feet, with 70 four-inch tubes; they are rated at 157 horse-power. An overcast has been constructed in the west entry into the 6th, 11th, 15th north entries.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Consolidated No. 14 Mine
      The legal description lists this as Macoupin County, and was in Staunton Township. -
Main Shaft located :Township 7 North, Range 6 West, South, Section 30, SW NW SE
The Air Shaft was located at : Township 7 North, Range 6 West, South, Section 30, SW NW NE
This was an underground mine with a depth of 276 - 325 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 6½ - 7 feet.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Consolidated No. 14 Mine   Consolidated Coal Company of St. Louis   1904-1923
The last reported production was in November 1923
[Source - No. 2, Index 762]
1904 Annual Coal Report 15
      The Consolidated Coal Co. of St. Louis. Mo., has opened out a new coal mine one and one-half miles west of Staunton. Macoupin County. This mine will be known as No. 14: connected with the mine will be a spur switch from the Wabash railroad. The main or hoisting shaft is 8 feet 10 inches by 15 feet 6 inches in the clear, and is 284 feet deep: the air shaft is of the same size, with five feet taken from one end for a stairway and escapement. The tower frames are of wood, covered with galvanized iron. The boiler, compressor, dynamo and engine houses are built of brick with fire proof roofing: there are four boilers, each 72 inches in diameter and 18 feet long. Each boiler is rated at 163 horse power. The hoisting engines are double first motion, each cylinder 24 inches in diameter with 36 inches stroke. An Ingersol- Sergeant compressor has been put in. steam cylinder 18x24 inches. Dump cages and shaker screens have been put in. A large washery has been built with a Smith box-car loader. The coal seam is No. 5 of the general section, and is seven feet thick. The underground works are laid out with a view of having a large output when the mine is fully developed.
 
1905 Annual Coal Report 16
Improvements In Mines
      The Consolidated Coal Co. at its mine No. 14, Staunton, Macoupin County, has made extensive improvements, A washery has been constructed, the capacity being near 100 tons per hour. A Smith gravity box-car loader has been introduced; one John O'Brien boiler has been put in, 72 inches by 18 feet, with 70 four-inch tubes, rated at 157 horse-power.. A 22-foot Duncan fan has been constructed; a 100 K. W. generator has been installed for the purpose of lighting the washery, pumping, etc. A stairway in the air shaft has been built to be used as an escapement.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Crow Hollow Mine No. 1
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 7 North, Range 8 West, Section 21
Bunker Hill Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Crow Hollow Mine No. 1   Crow & Hollow Coal Company   Unknown
[Source2 - Index 2900 ]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Crow Hollow Mine No. 2
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 7 North, Range 8 West, Section 19
Bunker Hill Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Huggins   P. C. Huggins   1881 - 1882
Carroll   Matt Carroll   1882 - 1883
Crow Hollow Mine No. 2   Raynor & Lock   1883 - 1889
[Source2 - Index 2899 ]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Crown Mine No. 2
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 12 North, Range 6 West, Section 23
Girard Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Crown Mine No. 2   Freeman United Coal Mining Company   1976 - 2007
[Source2 - Index 933 ]

 
Coal Mines ~ D
- - - - -       - - - - -
Davis Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 10 North, Range 9 West, Section 29
Western Mound Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Chism & Curtis Mine   Chism & Curtis   1893 - 1895
Curtis Mine   Samuel F. Curtis   1895 - 1900
Loper Mine   G. B. Loper   1900 - 1910
Truitt Mine   J. W. Truitt & Sons   1925 - 1926
Frost Mine   Frost & Company   1928 - 1928
Lyons Mine   Lyons Coal Company   1928 - 1933
Truitt Mine   Truitt & Sons   1934 - 1936
Davis Mine   Davis Coal Company   1937 - 1938
Chesterfield Mine   Chesterfield Coal Company   1938 - 1939
Poli Mine   A. N. Poli   1939 - 1939
Davis Mine   C. G. Anderson   1940 - 1940
[Source2 - Index 2918 ]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Davis Mine (2)
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 10 North, Range 9 West, Section 29
Western Mound Township
Mine Name   Operated By   Years
Davis Mine   Davis Coal Company   1924 - 1925
[Source2 - Index 2921 ]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Davis Mine (3)
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 10 North, Range 9 West, Section 30
Western Mound Township
Mine Name   Operated By   Years
Davis Mine   Dorris Davis   1882 - 1885
Davis Mine   Davis Brothers   1885 - 1890
[Source2 - Index 2928 ]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Davis Mine (4)
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 10 North, Range 9 West, Section 30
Western Mound Township
Mine Name   Operated By   Years
Davis Mine   R. R. Davis   1898 - 1899
Davis Mine   Davis Brothers   1899 - 1907
[Source2 - Index 2929 ]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Dawson Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 10 North, Range 9 West, Section 29
Western Mound Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Randolph Mine   John Randolph   1892 - 1893
Harbaugh Mine   J. F. Harbaugh   1893 - 1896
Harbaugh Mine   J. T. Harbaugh   1896 - 1900
Harbour Mine   John Harbour, Jr.   1900 - 1902
Harbaugh Mine   George Harbaugh   1902 - 1903
Harbaugh Mine   John Harbaugh   1903 - 1904
Harbaugh Mine   James Harbaugh   1904 - 1914
Dawson Mine   A. W. Dawson   1914 - 1915
[Source2 - Index 2919 ]
1915 Annual Coal Report20
Name and Ownership Changes - James Harbaugh to A. W. Dawson
 
1916 Annual Coal Report21
Abandoned Mines - A. W. Dawson, Macoupin County, Illinois
- - - - -       - - - - -
Dorsey Mine
      The second, if not the first mine, in Gillespie was located near the east border of the village (now city) and was known as "Dorsey Mine", and was in Gillespie Township.
 
      The mine was located on Walnut Street where the grain elevator used to be and where public housing now is. This is just to the east of the police department building and west of Bear Creek.
 
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 8 North, Range 7 West, Section 13, SE, SE, SE,
now being between Oak and Walnut streets to the east of Fulton Street. Further east is Clay Street, which was not in the Gillespie village limits at this time.
An underground mine with a depth of 346 - 375 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 7½ feet,
The Dorsey Mine was operated by the B. L. Dorsey Coal Company from 1881 - 1886
and operated by the Consolidated Coal Company of St. Louis from 1886-1887.
The last reported production was in 1887.
[Source - No. 2, Index 2908]
 
also listed this way
Mine Name Operated By Years
Dorsey Mine   Dorsey Coal Company   1883-1887
Dorsey Mine   Consolidated Coal Company of St. Louis   1887-1889
Note :
An 1875 Plat Map of Gillespie shows the Cleveland Cincinnati Chicago & St. Louis Railroad passing right by this location. It is shown as going in an eastwardly to westwardly direction halfway between Oak and Walnut Streets with the Depot being located on Macoupin Street approximately where City Hall is now located.
 
1883 Geological Survey of Illinois6
At Gillespie, in Macoupin county, a shaft has been sunk during the past year by B. L. Dorsey & Son, for the details of which I am indebted to Mr. Alexander Butters. Coal No. 5 was found here at the depth of about 365 feet, passing the following beds: . . . . .
Bottom of coal 373 ft. 5 in.
 
1885 Coal Report8
Collieries in Macoupin County, Illinois
Dorsey Coal Company, Gillespie, Macoupin County, Illinois.
      This shaft has not been worked since the 1st of March, owing to the strike in the Staunton district. The underground works are in good condition; ventilation good, secured by a Murphy fan. Ladders have not yet been put into the new escapement shaft, but a notice has been served on the company to have them supplied.
      S. Dorsey, Superintendent.
      A. Butters, Mine Manager.
           See : Biography of Alexander Butters
- - - - -       - - - - -
Dugger & Tulley Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 12 North, Range 9 West, Section 4
Scottville Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Dugger & Tulley Mine   Dugger & Tulley   1902 - 1903
[Source2 - Index 2935 ]

 
Coal Mines ~ E
- - - - -       - - - - -
Empire Mine No. 4
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 12 North, Range 6 West, Section 32
Girard Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Carpenter & Girard Mine   Carpenter & Girard   1867 - 1881
Young, Armstrong & Lowe Mine   Young, Armstrong & Lowe   1881 - 1882
Girard Mine   Girard Coal & Tile Company   1882 - 1883
Girard Mine   Girard Coal Company   1883 - 1904
Illinois Collieries Mine No. 5   Illinois Collieries Company   1904 - 1909
Girard Mine No. 5   Girard Collieries Company   1909 - 1913
Montour 403 Mine   Montour Coal Company   1913 - 1918
Pittsburg 403 Mine   Pittsburg Coal Company   1918 - 1920
Illinois Coal & Coke Mine No. 4   Illinois Coal & Coke Corporation   1920 - 1923
Empire Mine No. 4   Illinois Coal Corporation   1923 - 1923
[Source2 - Index 186 ]
1885 Annual Coal Report8
Girard Coal and Mining Co.
This shaft has been worked very successfully during the year. It has been supplying the C. & A. road with all the coal they use south of Lincoln. Ladders have been put in the escapement shaft during the year; all new entries opened up double. The ventilation has been increased by splitting the air currents, and a twelve- foot fan is used for ventilation, giving 30,000 cubic feet of air in three splits.
H. Wood, General Manager.
A. K. Young, Superintendent.
Jas. McGrainor, Mine Manager.

 
Coal Mines ~ F
- - - - -       - - - - -
F & M Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 7 North, Range 9 West, Section 36
Brighton Township
Mine Name  Operated By  Years
Hausman Mine   Fred Hausman   1934 - 1936
Moore Mine   Roscoe Moore   1934 - 1936
F & M Mine   F & M Coal Company   1943 - 1943
[Source2 - Index 2904 ]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Falcutt Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 10 North, Range 9 West, Section 30
Western Mound Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Falcutt Mine   John B. Falcutt   1923 - 1926
[Source2 - Index 2923 ]

 
Coal Mines ~ G
- - - - -       - - - - -
Gillespie Mine
      The first, or second, mine, in Gillespie was located to the north and east of Gillespie under the area of what is now East Gillespie and a very small part of Gillespie, and was in Cahokia Township.
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 8 North, Range 6 West, Section 18, SW, NE, SW,
According to The Staunton Times of February 26,1897, the mine shaft was sunk in 1880 by Henry Voge. There is not any knowledge of production prior to 1881.
This was an underground mine with a depth of 345 - 355 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 6 - 8 feet.
Gillespie Mine History
Mine Name Operated By Years
Young, Fuller & McKinney Mine   O. Young, D. W. Fuller, O. F. McKinney   1881-1882
Young & McKinney Mine   O. Young & O. F. McKinney   1882-1883
Gillespie Mine   Gillespie Coal Company   1883-1886
Gillespie Mine   Consolidated Coal Company of St. Louis   1886-1909
The last reported production was December 31, 1909.
[Source - No. 2, Index 763]
1885 Coal Report8
Collieries in Macoupin County, Illinois
Gillespie Coal and Mining Company, Gillespie, Macoupin County, Illinois.
      This shaft was worked very successfully up to the 1st of March, when it stopped, owing to the strike in the Staunton district, as is not in operation at present. Everything around the mine is in good order. The ventilation is good. The underground workings are in good order, and a Murphy fan is used for ventilation.
      O. F. McKinney, Superintendent.
      Wm. Opie, Mine Manager.
 
1897 Coal Report14
Gillespie Mine Fire of 1896
      At about 7:30 P. M. on the 16 of October in 1896, a fire broke out in the main north entry of the Gillespie Coal Mine in Gillespie, Macoupin County, Illinois. Coal production was suspended due to this fire for five and a half months for half of the mine and eight and a half months for the other half. A great property loss was incurred, but there was no lives lost in this fire. the south side of the mine was able to resume production of coal on April 1, 1897 and operations on the north side didn't resume until July 1, 1897. On the day of the fire, there was no one in the mine after 5:30 P. M. and the fire was observed by the night man noticing smoke coming from the hoisting shaft.
 
      Consolidated Coal Company went to a considerable expense to get Gillespie Mine back into production. Eight hour shifts on a continual basis for for the eight and a half months it took to get the mine back to work. The workmen involved were able to accomplish this without any fatalities or casualties.

 
Coal Mines ~ H
- - - - -       - - - - -
Harbaugh Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 10 North, Range 9 West, Section 30
Western Mound Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Harbaugh Mine   John J. Harbaugh   1907 - 1917
[Source2 - Index 2924 ]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Hoosier Mine
      The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 7 North, Range 6 West, South, Section 1, and was in Mt. Olive Township.
This was an underground mine with a depth of 420 - 435 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 7½ - 8.4 feet.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Mt. Olive Mine   Consolidated Coal & Coke Co. of Mt. Olive   1871-1889
Mt. Olive Mine   Mt. Olive Coal Company   1889-1894
Madison No. 5 Mine   Madison Coal Corporation   1894-1915
Mt. Olive No. 5 Mine   Mt. Olive Coal Company   1915-1920
Madison No. 5 Mine   Madison Coal Corporation   1920-1934
 This mine was idle during 1932 and 1933
Hoosier Mine   Mt. Olive Coal Company   1934-1940
The last reported production was December 1940.
[Source - No. 2, Index 282]
1913 Annual Coal Report 18
Improvements
      The Madison Coal Corporation has made the following improvements at No. 5 mine, Mt. Olive.
      A rescue station has been built on the surface to take care of the injured and to keep rescue apparatus in; also installed, on the surface, one endless tail rope electric car-puller with 4,000 feet of rope connected and can now move the railroad cars, either empty or loaded, in winter as easily as in summer; a Nicholson automatic stop, with steam reverse, on hoisting engine, to prevent over-winding should anything happen to the engineer while hoisting men, has been installed; rebuilt track scales and used large "I" beams instead of timber for the main bearings; also installed twelve automatic mine doors, made by the American Mine Door Co., of Canton, Ohio; these doors open by the motor or mule trips and are a good door for ventilation and safety. They are so arranged that men traveling along the entries do not go through these doors but, instead, go through door erected on the side for that purpose. Above this traveling door is a white light on each side, which signifies safety, and above the haulage door is a red light on each side, which signifies danger.
      Considerable concreting around the bottom of the shaft for fire protection has been done.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Hornsby Mine
aka Clyde Mine
Hornsby Coal Mine
      The Clyde Mine or Hornsby Mine is located in Cahokia Township.
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 8 North, Range 6 West, Section 9, NE, NE, NW,
According to mine notes this mine shaft was sunk by Henry Voge, probably in 1880 . There is not any knowledge of production prior to 1881.
This was an underground mine with a depth of 388 - 396 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 6 - 7½ feet.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Yoch Mine   Joseph Yoch & Brother   1881-1884
St. Barnard Mine   St. Barnard Coal Company   1884-1886
Clyde Mine   Consolidated Coal Company of St. Louis   1886-1896
Clyde Mine   W. W. Williams   1896-1897
Hornsby Mine   Consolidated Coal Company of St. Louis   1897-1906
The last reported production was in March 1906.
[Source - No. 2, Index 2907]
1885 Coal Report8
Collieries in Macoupin County, Illinois
St. Barnard Coal and Mining Company, Clyde, Hornsby P. O., Macoupin County, Illinois.
      This is the Yock mine at Clyde, Hornsby P. O., and will be now known as St. Barnard Coal and Mining Co. It is a machine mine, operating on an average six Yock coal cutting machines. A Duplex Yock compressor is used to supply air to the coal cutting machines. This shaft has a very bad roof, but is worked very successfully with the machines.
      Benjamin Yock, Manager.

 
Coal Mines ~ J
- - - - -       - - - - -
Jordan Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 7 North, Range 8 West, Section 35
Bunker Hill Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Jordan & Lansford   Jordan & Lansford   1903 - 1903
Lansford   E. Lansford & Company   1903 - 1904
Jordan Mine No. 3   Fritz T. Jordan   1904 - 1911
Jordan   Abbott T. Jordan   1911 - 1913
[Source2 - Index 2903 ]
1914 Annual Coal Report19
Abandoned Mines - A. T. Jarden, Bunker Hill, Macoupin County, Illinois

 
Coal Mines ~ K
- - - - -       - - - - -
Henderson, IL.
      In February of 1921, the West Virginia Coal Company which was owned by John Henderson, opened offices in Gillespie, Illinois.
      With Mr. G. E. Urbain as the superintendent, a new mine was being sunk on the Louis Cordum property approximately three miles northeast of Gillespie.
      During June of 1921, building lots were being sold for the new town of Henderson.
      A vein of coal considered to be of about nine foot was struck in August of 1921.
Kimberly Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 8 North, Range 6 West, Section 7, SE, NE, NE, which encompasses the area under Henderson and is in Cahokia Township.
An underground mine with a depth of 386 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 9 feet,
The Kimberly Mine was operated by the Perry Coal Company from 1922 - 1923
and notes also state it was known as "Old Henderson Mine" by the West Virginia Coal Company, but there was not any production reported under these names.
The last reported production was in August 1923.
[Source - No. 2, Index 2906]

 
Coal Mines ~ L
- - - - -       - - - - -
Lake & Henry Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 12 North, Range 9 West, Section 4
Scottville Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Lake & Henry   Lake & Henry   1937 - 1937
[Source2 - Index 4554 ]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Little Dog Mine
Gillespie Little Dog Mine photo 1
Photograph furnished by : Carol Ries
 
Gillespie Little Dog Mine photo 2
Photograph furnished by : Jill Secoy
 
Little Dog Mine
During 1918/1919 The "Little Dog Coal Company" was began by Sam Westwood and was known as "Gillespie Coal Company".
      Sam M. Westwood was a resident of Staunton, Illinois in 1910.
On the 12th of September in 1918, he registered for the World War I draft.
His birth date was shown as June 12, 1877 and he listed his residence as Gillespie, Illinois.
The occupation was stated as "Mine Superintendent" for the Gillespie Coal Company.
In 1945 C. V. Beck purchased the Little Dog Mine.
            See also : Clarence Beck & Little Dog Mine Memories by Nancy V. Beck
 
The legal description lists this as
      Macoupin County - Township 8 North, Range 7 West, Section 13, 600 FSL, 100 FWL, NE, and is in Gillespie Township.
An underground mine with a depth of 347 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 7 - 7½ feet
Mine Name Operated By Years
Liberty Mine   Gillespie Coal Company   1918-1940
Perry Mine   Perry Coal Company   1941-1945
Little Dog Mine   Little Dog Coal Company   1945-1967
Little Dog Mine   Florida Coal Company of St. Louis   1967-1968
The last reported production was November 26, 1968.
[Source - No. 2, Index 843]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Lovejoy Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 7 North, Range 9 West, Section 36
Brighton Township
Mine Name Operated By  Years
Lovejoy Mine   Lovejoy Coal Company   1939 - 1939
[Source2 - Index 2905 ]

 
Coal Mines ~ M
- - - - -       - - - - -
McCormick Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 10 North, Range 9 West, Section 29
Western Mound Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
McCormick Mine   R. McCormick   1893 - 1899
McCormick Mine   McCormick Brothers   1899 - 1900
[Source2 - Index 2920 ]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Medora Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 8 North, Range 9 West, Section 6
Shipman Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Medora Mine   Medora Coal & Mining Company   1882 - 1885
[Source2 - Index 2909 ]
1885 Annual Coal Report8
Medora Coal Company
This mine was abandoned at the beginning of the fiscal year. No coal having been mined, the plant is for sale.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Monterey No. 1 Mine
Shay Mine
Monterey Coal Mine
Photograph furnished by : Jill Secoy
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 9 North, Range 7 West, Section 22, SE, NW, SW, which encompasses over 12,000 acres in Brushy Mound Township.
An underground mine with a depth of 300 - 330 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 6 2/3 - 7¼ feet
Monterey No. 1 Mine is operated by Monterey Coal Company and began operations in 1970. It is presently (2008) continuing to produce coal, but may close in the near future.
[Source - No. 2, Index 886]
Shay Mine
Macoupin County, IL.
      Monterey No. 1 Mine closed in the early part of 2009 and after being down for over 200 days; was reopened as Shay Mine, and in October of 2009 began producing coal.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Mustard Mine
Scottville Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Mustard Mine   L. Mustard   1918 - 1918
[Source2 - Index 2937 ]

 
Coal Mines ~ N
- - - - -       - - - - -
Naylor Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 7 North, Range 8 West, Section 24
Bunker Hill Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Naylor Mine   Naylor   1867 - 1879
[Source2 - Index 2901]
- - - - -       - - - - -
North Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 12 North, Range 6 West, Section 9
Virden Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Virden Mine   Chicago-Virden Coal Company   1892 - 1904
Illinois Colliery Mine No. 1   Illinois Collieries Company   1904 - 1909
Glenridge Mine No. 1   Glenridge Coal Company   1909 - 1913
Montour 402 Mine   Montour Coal Company   1913 - 1918
Pittsburg 402 Mine   Pittsburg Coal Company   1918 - 1920
Illinois Coal & Coke Mine No. 3   Illinois Coal & Coke Corporation   1920 - 1923
Empire Mine No. 3   Illinois Coal Corporation   1923 - 1932
North Mine   Virden Coal Company   1932 - 1937
Virden Mine   Lincoln Liquidating Company   1937 - 1939
North Mine   Virden Mining Corporation   1939 - 1960
[Source2 - Index 67 ]

1915 Annual Coal Report20
Mine Fires
The boiler and engine house of the Montour Coal Company's mine, Virden, Macoupin County, Illinois, was totally destroyed by fire on January 21, 1915. The loss amounted to about $20,000, and up to this time the plant has not rebuilt.

 
Coal Mines ~ O
- - - - -       - - - - -
Old Calamity Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 10 North, Range 7 West, Section 21
Carlinville Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Old Calamity Mine   Old Calamity   Before 1883
[Source2 - Index 2912 ]

 
Coal Mines ~ P
- - - - -       - - - - -
Palulis Mine No. 1
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 10 North, Range 9 West, Section 30
Western Mound Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Rands Mine   Thomas Rands   1897- 1903
Challons Mine   Challons Coal Company   1934 - 1935
Greenstreet Mine   Orvil Greenstreet   1935 - 1935
Palulis Mine No. 1   Stanley Palulis   1935 - 1936
[Source2 - Index 2925 ]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Pitchford Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 10 North, Range 9 West, Section 30
Western Mound Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Pitchford Mine   Claude Pitchford   1939 - 1941
[Source2 - Index 2927 ]

 
Coal Mines ~ R
- - - - -       - - - - -
Ridge Mine No. 6
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 11 North, Range 6 West, Section 5
Nilwood Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Green Ridge Mine   Green Ridge Coal Company   1895 - 1897
Green Ridge Mine   O'Gara King Coal Company   1897 - 1898
Green Ridge Mine   Green Ridge Coal Company   1907 - 1913
Green Ridge Mine   Vivian Colliery Company   1907 - 1913
Middle States Mine No. 27   Middle States Coal Company   1907 - 1913
Green Ridge Mine   Ridge Coal Company   1917 - 1919
Ridge Mine No. 6   Union Fuel Company   1919 - 1923
[Source2 - Index 2931 ]
1895 Annual Coal Report13
New Mines
In Macoupin County, the Green Ridge Coal Company has opened a mine on the Chicago & Alton Railroad, one and one-half miles south of Girard. The equipment consists of a Litchfield first motion double hoisting engine, four boilers and a Canty tipple. The latter is a device for automatically running the car off the cage, dumping the coal and returning the car to the cage; practically the same results are obtained as with a self-dumping cage, without the danger of having an unstable platform for conveying the men in the shift.
 
1915 Annual Coal Report20
Abandoned Mines - Middle States Coal Company's mine No. 27, Greenridge, Macoupin County, Illinois.
 
1922 Annual Coal Report25
Mines Not in Operation During the Past Year
Union Fuel Company's No. 6 mine, Girard, Macoupin County, Illinois. [ Location listed as stated in report ]
 
1923 Annual Coal Report26
New Mines - Union Fuel Company has put in operation No. 6 mine at Greenridge.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Royal Mine No. 2
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 12 North, Range 6 West, Section 8, SE, SW, SW
Virden Township
This was an underground mine with a depth of 300 - 350 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 4½ - 7½ feet.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Royal Mine No. 1   Royal Colliery Company   1903 - 1914
Royal Mine   Chicago, Wilmington & Franklin Coal Co.   1914 - 1919
Royal Mine No. 2   Royal Colliery Company   1919 - 1924
The last reported production was in July 1924
[Source2 - Index 185 ]
1913 Annual Coal Report18
Mine Fires
      On May 21, 1913, fire destroyed the mine tipple and the washer at the Royal Colliery Company's mine, Virden, Macoupin County, Illinois, entailing a loss of over $100,000.00, and throwing 600 men out of employment. The company is now busy re-erecting with steel, and expect to be able to resume work some time in September.
 
1914 Annual Coal Report19
Improvements
      The Royal Colliery Company, Virden, Macoupin County, Illinois, has installed a washery of 125 tons per hour capacity, to replace the one destroyed by fire, May 31, 1913. The building is of steel and was erected by the Wisconsin Bridge and Iron Company. The machinery was designed and installed by the American Concentrator Company and includes two No. 500 double jigs and one No. 50 single jig, three Jeffery elevators, shaking screens and one 250-ton coal bin, four 50-ton washed coal bins, and four steel settling cones.
 
1915 Annual Coal Report20
Name and Ownership Changes
Royal Colliery Company to Chicago, Wilmington & Franklin Coal Company
 
1918 Annual Coal Report23
Report of Investigation of Powder Explosion at the Royal Mine C. W. & F. Coal Co.
      Assisted by James Taylor, special investigator, an investigation was made of the explosion of powder, on February 22, 1918, at the Royal mine of the C. W. & F. Coal Co., and we found that four men -- Leo Moffat, John Fassero, George Osborne and Tim Roberts -- were killed by an explosion of twenty-six kegs of powder that had been lowered in the mine while the electric current was on the mine wires, and mining machines and electric motors in operation. A car containing forty kegs of powder was sent down at 9:00 o'clock p. m.; fourteen of these kegs of powder were unloaded from the car and placed upon the bench seats, which are located at the bottom of the hoisting shaft in the north manway refuge place. The kegs were for a different section of the mine than those remaining in the car.
      The car, with its contents, was placed on a nearby switch at the south side to the shaft and allowed to remain there until 2:30 o'clock a m At 2:30 o clock a. m. the electric locomotive was switching cars and while handling a car of ties and props was coupled to the car containing the twenty-six kegs of powder and in starting the load the motor was evidently grounded the car containing the powder was charged and the powder exploded killing four men and endangering a number of others.
      Mr. A. W. Archibald, the night boss, informed us that the powder was always sent down the shaft between the hours of 7:30 and 9:30 p m that it had been the prevailing custom during the period of his employment as night boss. On the night of the explosion the powder was lowered into the mine at 9:00 p. m., and remained near the shaft bottom until 2:45 p. m.
      Mr. F. Mayer, the night machine boss, stated that the electric current was always turned on at 6:00 p. m., and continued on until 3:15 to 3:30 a. m. During these hours the mining machines and motors were in operation intermittently.
      The manner in which this powder was handled was in violation of section 19 (a), which provides that electrically equipped mines must not transport explosives until the current is turned off.
      The placing of the fourteen kegs in the north manway refuge place was also a violation of the mining law, which provides that no material shall be stored in refuge places.
Respectfully submitted,
T. A. Lewis, State Inspector.

 
Coal Mines ~ S
- - - - -       - - - - -
Sievers Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 7 North, Range 6 West, Section 33 SW
Staunton Township
According to Staunton in Illinois, the shaft was sunk in 1876.
This was an underground mine at a depth of 220 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 5½ - 6½ feet.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Sievers & Maxe Mine   August Sievers & Fred Maxe   1876 - 1880
Sievers Mine   Sievers & Voge   1880 - 1881
Sievers Mine   August Sievers   1881 - 1882
Sievers Mine   Richardson & Company   1882 - 1883
Sievers Mine   D. W. Kelly   1883 - 1884
Sievers Mine   Sievers   1884 - 1885
[Source2 - Index 6692 ]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Shipman Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 8 North, Range 9 West, Section 25
Shipman Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Shipman Mine   Shipman Coal Company   1889 - 1891
[Source2 - Index 2910 ]
1890 Biennial Coal Report10
Mines Opened during year
The Shipman Coal Co.'s shaft has been opened during the year. The shaft is 330 feet deep, coal seam 2'9" thick, being seam No. 1 of the general section, and the coal is of a very good quality. A pair of Litchfield engines has been put in for hoisting.
- - - - -       - - - - -
South Mine at Virden
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 12 North, Range 6 West, Section 9, NW, SW, SE,
Virden Township
This was an underground mine with a depth of 320 - 350 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 6½ - 7½ feet.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Utt Mine   John W. Utt   pre 1878 - 1889
Utt Mine   J. W. Utt's heirs   1889 - 1890
Virden Mine   Virden Coal Company   1890 - 1904
Illinois Collieries Mine No. 4   Illinois Collieries Company   1904 - 1909
South Mine   Lukens & Andrews   1909 - 1910
The last reported production was in July 1910
[Source2 - Index 2934 ]
1885 Annual Coal Report8
Virden Coal Co.
This shaft has only been worked about half the time during the year, owing to losing the trade of the C. & A. Railroad, the Girard Coal Co. having underbid them and received the contract. Only the west side of the shaft is worked ; it is opened up by double entries and in very good shape. The ventilation is fair, tor which a 10 foot fan is used. There is a shale seam connected with this shaft. The shale is used for the manufacture of paving brick and drain tile. The shale is hoisted out of the escapement shaft by friction gearing. Ladders are used from the coal seam to the shale seam.
J. W. Utt, Manager.
Owen Garrett, Mine Manager.
- - - - -       - - - - -
South Mine (1)
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 10 North, Range 7 West, Section 33
Carlinville Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
South Mine   Henry Bartels & Son   1870 - 1886
South Mine   William Bartels   1886 - 1891
[Source2 - Index 2916 ]
1885 Annual Coal Report8
Bartels' Coal Mine.
This shaft is located within the corporate limits of the city of Carlinville, on the south side. An escapement shaft has been sunk. The owners are sinking another hoisting shaft, and have put up a pair of twin engines, 2d motion, for hoisting; engines, 10 x 16; drum, 4 ; boiler, 44 x 18. This is a local shaft, not shipping any coal. The works are all laid out in double entry plan, and are in very good condition.
Wm. Bartels, Manager.
 
1918 3      W. G. Bartels, Carlinville, Illinois, is President and General Manager of the Carlinville Coal Co. He began in the employ of his father in 1869 and continued until 1883, since which time he has operated in his own behalf. He was born at Carlinville March 2, 1858.
      See also : Biography of William G. Bartels
- - - - -       - - - - -
South Mine (2)
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 10 North, Range 7 West, Section 33
Carlinville Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
South Mine   Carlinville Mining Company   1918 - 1920
Bartels Mine   Bartels Coal Company   1920 - 1924
South Mine   South Mine Coal Company   1924 - 1949
South Mine   Carlinville Coal Mining Company   1949 - 1953
[Source2 - Index 2915 ]
1919 Annual Coal Report24
New Mine.
      The Carlinville Mining Company is located just south of Carlinville on the Illinois Traction System. A strictly modern reinforced concrete shaft 7 feet 6 inches by 15 feet 8 inches with hoisting compartments 6 feet by 7 feet 6 inches each and a quarter shaft 3 feet by 7 feet 6 inches was sunk in 1918 to a depth of 250 feet and is working the number six vein seam. Thickness of seam ranges from 6 feet 6 inches to 7 feet with good working conditions and a dry shaft. Two ton cars equipped with best of roller bearings will be used and the hoisting is done with steam. A modern steel tipple is to be erected in the autumn of 1919 and the mine equipped to produce 2.500 tons daily. Buildings on surface are of hollow clay building tile and the boiler room, in addition to housing the boiler and engine, contains the air compressor for operating the puncher machines, which are installed for development work.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Standard Mine at Carlinville
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 10 North, Range 7 West, Section 28
Carlinville Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Loomis Mine No. 1   S. T. Loomis   1878 - 1882
South Shaft No. 2   Farrell & Flint   1882- 1884
Carlinville Mine   Carlinville Coal Company   1884 - 1885
Farrell & Loomis Mine No. 1   Farrell & Loomis   1885 - 1887
Carlinville Mine   Consolidated Coal Company of St. Louis   1887 - 1889
Loomis Mine   T. J. Loomis, Lessee   1889 - 1891
Carlinville Mine No. 1   Carlinville Coal Company   1891 - 1917
Standard No. 1A Air Shaft   Standard Oil Company   1917 - 1925
[Source2 - Index 69 ]
1885 Annual Coal Report8
Carlinville Coal Co.
Collieries Nos. 1 and 2 of this company have been stopped since November, 1883, owing to the fact that they have no escapement shafts. An escapement will be sunk this fall to connect with No. 1, when mining will again be commenced.
Wm. Farrell, Manager.
 
1929 Annual Coal Report27
Mines Not Operated - Standard Oil Company Nos. 1 and 2
- - - - -       - - - - -
Standard Mine at Nilwood
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 11 North, Range 6 West, Section 29
Nilwood Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Standard Mine   Standard Oil Company   1918 - 1918
[Source2 - Index 2933 ]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Standard B Mine at Carlinville
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 10 North, Range 7 West, Section 21
Carlinville Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Standard B Mine No. 1   Standard Oil Company   1917 - 1924
[Source2 - Index 187 ]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Standard B Mine in Shaw's Point Township
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 10 North, Range 6 West, Section 4
Shaw's Point Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Standard 2B Mine   Standard Oil Company   1919 - 1919
Standard Mine No. 2   Standard Oil Company of Indiana   1919 - 1925
Standard B Mine   Idle   /   Abandoned   1926 - 1944
Standard B Mine   Standard Mining & Converters   1945 - 1947
[Source2 - Index 228 ]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Staunton No. 5 Mine
One of the first Coal Mines in the Staunton, IL area.
      The legal description lists this as Macoupin County, and was in Staunton Township. -
Main Shaft located :Township 7 North, Range 6 West, South, Section 29, SE SW SE
The Air Shaft was located at : Township 7 North, Range 6 West, South, Section 29, NW SE SE
This was an underground mine with a depth of 325 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 6½ - 7 feet.
      According to the Atlas of Macoupin County4 of 1875,
this shaft is shown and labeled Panhorst & Voge
      According to the Staunton in Illinois5 and the Staunton Times of February 26, 1897, this shaft was sunk in February of 1871, and was later used as an air shaft, after Henry Voge sank another shaft.
     Operations prior to 1878 are unknown
Mine Name Operated By Years
Staunton Mine   Panhorst & Voge   1871-1878
Fuller & Young Mine   Fuller, Young & Company   1878-1879
No. 5 Mine   C. Ridgely, F. W. Sutton, & A. G. Daniels   1881-1882
Ellsworth No. 5 Mine   Ellsworth Coal Company   1882-1886
Staunton No. 5 Mine   Consolidated Coal Company of St. Louis   1886-1888
The last reported production was in 1888
[Source - No. 2, Index 2897]
1885 Coal Report8
Collieries in Macoupin County, Illinois
Ellsworth Coal Company, No. 5 Colliery, Staunton, Macoupin County, Illinois.
      There have been some improvements made here during the year. Two extra boilers have been put in with an improved heater. A brick smokestack has been built, a large reservoir has been constructed to collect surface water for boiler feed and general improvements were made during the miners' strike. The underground workings are in good shape. Ventilation is good. A friction gearing has been erected connecting with the engine that runs revolving screens for drawing the cars along the branches to the screens, doing away with mule power. The tail rope, or endless rope, could be economically used in this mine, as the working faces are a considerable distance from the shaft. The entries are all driven double to secure good ventilation and the better working of the coal, and every possible opportunity is taken to split the air. This mine is very successfully managed, and in amount of output is the second mine in the district.
      J. D. Crabb, Superintendent.
      W. R. Morris, Mine Manager.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Staunton No. 7 Mine
      The legal description lists this as Macoupin County, and was in Staunton Township. -
Main Shaft located :Township 7 North, Range 6 West, South, Section 21, SW SW SE
The Air Shaft was located at : Township 7 North, Range 6 West, South, Section 21, SE SW SE
This was an underground mine with a depth of 350 - 355 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 7½ - 8 feet.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Williamson & Townsend Mine   Williamson, Townsend & Company   1881-1882
Ellsworth No. 7 Mine   Ellsworth Coal Company   1882-1886
Consolidated No. 7 Mine   Consolidated Coal Company of St. Louis   1896-1897
Consolidated No. 7 Mine   B. Hebenstreit   1882-1886
Consolidated No. 7 Mine   Consolidated Coal Company of St. Louis   1897-1951
 The mine was idle from 1911 to 1913 and 1931 to 1934
Bell & Zoller No. 7 Mine   Bell & Zolle Coal & Mining Company   1951-1951
Staunton No. 7 Mine   Staunton Mine Seven, Inc.   1951-1952
The last reported production was in February 1952
[Source - No. 2, Index 189]

1885 Coal Report8
Collieries in Macoupin County, Illinois
Ellsworth Coal Company, No. 7 Colliery, Staunton, Macoupin County, Illinois.
      This shaft has not much during the year owing to a crush in the mine. The crush closed both the hoisting and escapement shafts. The west side has been opened up and work begun by hand mining, the shaft being originally a machine mine.
      J. D. Crabb, Superintendent.
      John Reese, Mine Manager.
 
1904 Annual Coal Report 15
      The Consolidated Coal Co. of St. Louis, Mo., has made several improvements at its No. 7 mine, at Staunton. Macoupin County. A new tower has been erected, also a tipple-house built, with self-dumping and shaker screens: a new fan 22 feet in diameter has been put in. The mine tracks have been relaid with 30-pound rails. It is intended to introduce mechanical haulage. Two ---horse power boilers have been installed.
 
1905 Annual Coal Report 16
Improvements In Mines
      At mine No. 7, Staunton, Macoupin County, owned by the Consolidated Coal Co., there has been constructed a new wooden tipple with self-dumping cages and shaker screens. The 8-foot Murphy fan has been removed, and a 32-foot Duncan fan put in its place. Two John O'Brien boilers, 6 x 18 feet, with 70 4-inch tubes have been installed. The mail haulage ways have been relaid with 30-pound steel rails, taking the place of the 12-pound rails; this improvement is made with a few of putting in electric haulage. the foundation of the hoisting engine has been renewed; an iron hoisting drum has been put in, replacing one made of wood. Pipes have been placed for pneumatic signals, and will be in operation in a short time.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Superior No. 1 Mine
Eagarville, IL.
Superior Coal Company No. 1 Mine entry gate
Photograph courtesy of Robert Contratto
 
Superior Coal Company No. 1 Mine
Photograph courtesy of George Vincent
The legal description lists this as
      Macoupin County - Township 8 North, Range 6 West, Section 29, 1100 FSL, 1200 FEL, NW,
which encompasses the area under Gillespie and east also under Eagarville, and was in Cahokia Township.
An underground mine with a depth of 320 - 348 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 6½ - 9 feet,
Superior No. 1 Mine was at Eagarville, and operated by the Superior Coal Company
It opened August 1903 and closed in 1951
Coal production was reported from 1904 through May 1951
[Source - No. 2, Index 413]
1916 Annual Coal Report21
Improvements
      The Superior Coal Company at mine No. 1, has erected a concrete smokestack 195 feet high, which takes the place of six metal stacks; finished resetting of twelve boilers; painted all the buildings on the surface except the houses, and the contract has been let for this work and they will be painted in a short time; motor roads extended about 3,500 feet, and considerable narrow work has been driven using the same for air courses, which adds considerable to the ventilation. Gates have been put on the main ways to keep the men from coming out and coming in contact with moving cars on the bottom.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Superior No. 2 Mine
Sawyerville, IL.
early Superior Coal Company No. 2 Mine
It is postmarked on the back Dec. 6, 1900 and the message is written in Russian.
Postcard furnished by : Kate Konneker Basso
 
Superior Coal Company No. 2 Mine
Photograph furnished by : George Vincent
The legal description lists this as
      Macoupin County - Township 7 North, Range 6 West, Section 6, 670 FSL, 120 FEL, NW,
which encompasses the area under Benld and Sawyerville, and was in Cahokia Township.
An underground mine with a depth of 321 - 360 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 6½ - 8½ feet,
Superior No. 2 Mine was at Sawyerville, and operated by the Superior Coal Company
It opened in October 1903 and closed in 1952 or 1953
Coal production was reported from 1904 through September 1953
[Source - No. 2, Index 503]
1916 Annual Coal Report21
Improvements
      The Superior Coal Company at mine No. 2, the company has erected a new concrete smokestack which takes the place of five metal ones. Also put in a new ash blower and a new electric pump and pump house at the reservoir; painted all buildings on the surface; placed a new steel crank on the right hand hoisting engine which makes the engines at all three mines equipped with cranks. The resetting of twelve boilers has been completed and motor haulage roads extended 4,000 feet. The hoisting shaft around the bottom has been retimbered and new bunting, curbing and guides put in throughout the shaft.. Gates have been placed on the main ways to keep the men from coming out in contact with moving cars while hoisting coal. The stairway and air shaft have been repaired; motor roads leveled and straightened, and 75 sets of roller bearing trucks placed under mine cars.
 
- - - - -       - - - - -
Superior No. 3 Mine
Mount Clare, IL.
Superior Coal Company No. 3 Mine
Photograph furnished by : George Vincent
The legal description lists this as
      Macoupin County - Township 8 North, Range 7 West, Section 36, 500 FNL, 440 FWL, NW,
which encompasses the area under Mount Clare, and was in Gillespie Township.
An underground mine with a depth of 340 - 350 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 6 - 9 1/3 feet,
Superior No. 3 Mine was at Mount Clare, and operated by the Superior Coal Company
It opened August 1904 and closed in 1953
Coal production was reported from 1905 through October 1953
[Source - No. 2, Index 66]
1905 Annual Coal Report 16
Prospective Mines
      The Superior Coal Co., Gillespie, Macoupin County, is sinking a new shaft designated as No. 3, at a point three miles southeast of Gillespie, on the line of its own road, the Macoupin County Railroad. The company expects to reach the coal (Mt. Olive seam) about September 1st next. The depth of the shaft will be 335 feet; the size of the main shaft is 9 by 17 feet; the air shaft is 9 x 15 feet.
      The equipment will be a hoisting engine 24 by 36 inches, with 7-foot straight drum; a brick boiler and engine house, with steel trusses and slate roof. The blacksmith and repair shop is 26 by 60 feet; the building the same as the power house. Two air compressors will be installed, capacity 1,840 cubic feet per minute; the engine to be placed will be of 1,200 horse power, with two tubular boilers 72 inches in diameter by 18 feet long; seventy 4-inch tubes in each boiler. the coal will be mined by machines, operated by compressed air; self-dumping cages and 2½-ton mine cars will be used. A brick stack 125 in height has been built; the base is 13 feet 4 inches square and 8 feet 6 inches at the top, the internal diameter is 6 feet and is lined with fire brick. Two 70-foot track scales will be installed.
      The company now has twenty-five dwelling houses erected, and the Hillsboro Building and Loan Company is building twenty-five more houses. the location of the shaft is very good, as little grading for yard work will be required. The houses for the men and families are located where there is a very fine view of the surrounding country and a good location for a town.
 
1916 Annual Coal Report21
Improvements
      The Superior Coal Company at mine No. 3, two new steel cranks were put on the hoisting engine; a new belt coal conveyor for boiler room installed, all buildings on the surface painted, the shaft bottom reinforced with concrete arched piers; the motor haulage on the various entries extended about 6,000 feet; opened up some abandoned entries and made air courses out of some which adds greatly to the ventilation. Three new automatic doors were installed and motor roads straightened and retied. The hopper scales and the coal chutes and hoppers at all three mines and the washer have been remodeled.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Superior No. 4 Mine
Wilsonville, IL.
Superior Coal Company No. 4 Mine
Postcard furnished by : George Vincent
 
Superior Coal Company No. 4 Mine tipple
Photo from 1943 Annual Coal Report28
The legal description lists this as
      Macoupin County - Township 7 North, Range 7 West, Section 10, 30 FSL, 910 FWL, NW,
which encompasses the area under Wilsonville, and was in Dorchester Township.
An underground mine with a depth of 307 - 314 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 6 - 8½ feet,
Superior No. 4 Mine was at Wilsonville, and operated by the Superior Coal Company
It opened in 1916 and closed in 1954.
Coal production was reported from 1918 through May 1954
[Source - No. 2, Index 188]
      On Monday March 20, 1917, the sinking of this coal mine began under the direction of Guy Lyons
on the Joe Gahagan farm in Section 10 of Dorchester Township of Macoupin County, Illinois.
This location was decided after drilling a number of test holes.

1917 Annual Coal Report 22
Prospective Mine
      The Superior Coal Company in sinking a new mine to be know as No. 4, about seven miles south west of Gillespie, Macoupin County. It is expected that this mine will be the largest producer in the State. the main shaft will be 11 feet by 21 feet inside of the concrete and will have three compartments. The air shaft will be 11 feet by 17 feet inside measurement with a concrete stairway. The equipment of the plant will be up-to-date in every respect and the work is being rushed with all possible speed.

- - - - -       - - - - -
Coal Washing Plant of the Superior Coal Company
mine washer photo
Photograph furnished by : Jill Secoy
Original Photograph taken by Frank J. Orso
1907 Annual Coal Report 17
Coal Washing Plant of the Superior Coal Company
      The coal washing plant of the Superior Coal Company is located on the main line of the Macoupin County Railway, about three miles north of Benld and within a few hundred yards of the crossing of the C., C., C. & St. L. R. R. This washery was designed and built by the American Coal Washer Company of Alton, Ill. Its capacity is 250 tons of coal an hour. The coal is brought to the washery in gondola cars of 80,000 pounds capacity from the three mines of the company.

      The coal passes at the mines through a bar screen one and a quarter inches apart. The loaded cars are left standing in front of the washery on a double track having a down grade towards the washery. This down grade of the tracks continues through the washey and beyond the track scales, so that the cars are handled solely by gravity. The washery is built in two symmetrical halves, each independent of the other, but arranged so that in case of break down one side can feed coal to the other side. The coal is taken out of the cars by two car unloaders, one over each of the two tracks. Each of these unloaders has a capacity of four cars an hour. The unloaders clean the cars perfectly, requiring very little hand shoveling. Five men can operate one unloader and handle the cars easily. the cars are pulled against the unloader by a double paper friction winch. Each unloader delivers the coal into the boot of an elevator, which conveys it into a double bin situated above and to the right of the washing jigs. The bottom of these bins are inclined towards the horizontal at an angle of forty-five degrees and are lined with heavy sheet steel so that the coal slides by gravity into the jigs. The flow of coal is regulated by iron gates. The car unloaders and coal elevator of each side are driven by manilla ropes attached to a 12 by 14 inch single engine. In front of the coal bins are located the jigs, four on each side. In the jigs the coal is seperated from the slate, sulphur and other impurities. These impurities being heavier than the coal, accumulate on the bottom of the jigs and slide out of the jig boxes through the opening in front. Each opening can be operated and regulated by gates. The impurities from the four jigs on one side slide into an elevator located between the second and third jig. This elevator lifts the slate to an elevation where it slides through a chute into a small slate bin located outside of the washery building. This slate bin is built over a narrow gauge track on which a self dumping slate car is operated by means of endless wire rope and hoisting engine.
 
      The coal after being freed from all impurities, flows over the front of the jigs and is sluiced into a large revolving screen, where all of the water is drained off and the coal seperated into two sizes. The coarse coal which goes over the screen drops into an elevator, which delivers it into bins located over the railroad tracks. By means of sliding gates in the bottom of these bins the cola can be loaded into the railroad cars. the fine coal which passes through the screen and all of the water are collected into a settling tank. the coal settling in the bottom of this tank is conveyed by means of a double flight conveyor to an elevator which delivers the coal onto the shaking screen. On this shaking screen the coal is thoroughly sprinkled and rinsed with fresh water which removes all of the fine particles of fire clay, the fine coal leaving the shaking screen perfectly clean and dry. An elevator takes the coal from the shaking screen and delivers it into washed coal bins. Each of the two slides is driven by a 13 by 16 twin engine. The power is transmitted by means of manilla ropes.       On one side of the railroad tracks and within thirty feet of the washery building the boiler house is located. This building is a brick structure, with timber roof trusses and brick floor. It contains four 150 horse power return-tubular boilers, two feed pumps and one water heater. Coal for the boilers is delivered from the head of the washed coal elevators by a chute.
 
      The washery building is 142 by 130 feet and 83 feet high to the ridge pole of the roof over the natural coal bin. The building is enclosed with drop siding and the roof covered with prepared gravel roofing paper. The engine rooms have concrete floors. During the winter the buildings will be heated by steam.
 
1916 Annual Coal Report21
Improvements
      The Superior Coal Company, at the washer, two boilers have been reset, a smokestack erected, new electric car puller installed, all the buildings on the surface painted and new track scales with concrete foundation and steel I beams put in.

The Gillespie News
Gillespie, Illinois
Wednesday, March 30, 1960
'25 Years Ago in Gillespie'
Furnished by Marlene VanDoren
      WASH HOUSE OF THE No. 1 MINE
      The fire at the wash house of the No 1 mine of the Superior Coal Company was a severe loss. The house cost in the neighborhood of $10, 000 and was fire proof, with the exception of the rafters: it was a total loss. The miners lost their clothes, and many of them their auto keys, and it is judged that their loss will be in the neighborhood of $3000. The peculiar thing about the fire was that several drillers had left the wash house only about ten minutes before the fire was discovered, and at the time they left the wash house, there was no fire and no indications of a fire, neither did any of them smell smoke. Its origin is a mystery.

 
Coal Mines ~ U
- - - - -       - - - - -
Union Fuel Mine No. 1
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 11 North, Range 6 West, Section 18
Nilwood Township
Mine Name Operated By Years
Cooper Mine   Henry Cooper & Sons   1878 - 1881
Noonan Mine   Dennis Noonan   1881 - 1888
Cooper Mine   H. Cooper & Sons   1888 - 1889
Nilwood Mine   Carbon Coal Company   1893 - 1902
Carbon Mine   Nilwood Carbon Coal Company   1893 - 1902
Weaver Mine   Weaver Coal & Coke   1902 - 1903
Manufactures Fuel Mine   Manufactures Fuel Company   1903 - 1906
Prairie State Mine No. 1   Prairie State Coal & Coke   1906 - 1909
Nilwood Mine   Nilwood Coal Company   1909 - 1910
Illinois Central Fuel Mine   Illinois Central Fuel Company   1910 - 1917
Nilwood Mine   Nilwood Coal Company   1917 - 1919
Union Fuel Mine No. 1   Union Fuel Company   1919 - 1921
[Source2 - Index 2932 ]
1885 Annual Coal Report8
Nilwood Mine
This shaft is operated by Dennis Noonan, on a lease from the owners. The works have been opened up on the double entry system during the year. There are on an average 50 miners working at the shaft. Most of the coal mined here is shipped to Alton. This mine has been troubled some during the year with gob fires, but they are now successfully put out.
Louis Kortkamp, Manager.
 
1913 Annual Coal Report18
Abandoned Mines - Illinois Fuel Company, Nilwood, Macoupin County, Illinois,
 
1922 Annual Coal Report25
Mines Not in Operation During the Past Year - Union Fuel Company's No. 1 mine, Nilwood, Macoupin County, Illinois.

 
Coal Mines ~ V
- - - - -       - - - - -
Virden Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 12 North, Range 6 West, Section 9, NE, NW, NE,
Virden Township
This was an underground mine with a depth of 320 - 330 feet and an average coal seam thickness of 4 - 8 feet.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Chicago-Virden Mine No. 1   Chicago-Virden Coal Company   1892 - 1904
Illinois Collieries Mine No. 1   Illinois Collieries Company   1904 - 1909
Glenridge Mine No. 1   Glenridge Coal Company   1909 - 1913
Montour No. 402 Mine   Montour Coal Company   1913 - 1918
Pittsburg No. 402 Mine   Pittsburg Coal Company   1918 - 1920
Illinois Coal & Coke Mine No. 3   Illinois Coal & Coke Corporation   1920 - 1923
Empire Mine No. 3   Illinois Coal Corporation   1923 - 1932
Virden Mine   Virden Coal Company   1932 - 1937
Lincoln Liquidating Mine   Lincoln Liquidating Company   1937 - 1939
Virden Mine   Virden Mining Company   1939 - 1959
This mine was idle in 1909, in 1916, and from 1926 - 1931
The last reported production was in July 1960
[Source2 - Index 67 ]
1916 Annual Coal Report21
Abandoned Mines - Montour Coal Company No. 402, Virden, Macoupin County, Illinois
- - - - -       - - - - -
Voge Mine
      In 1869, Henry Voge sank this shaft, but operation of this mine is unknown.
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County, Township 7 North, Range 7 West, Section 25; which is in Dorchester Township just to the west of Consolidated No. 14 Mine's location in Section 30 of Staunton Township.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Voge Shaft   Henry Voge   1869-?
[Source - No. 2, Index 190]

 
Coal Mines ~ W
- - - - -       - - - - -
Walden Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 10 North, Range 9 West, Section 31
Western Mound Township
Mine Name Operated By Year
Cogger Mine   Cogger & Company   1886 - 1890
Trill Mine   Charles Trill   1890 - 1893
Trill Mine   Trill Brothers   1896 - 1896
Walden Mine   W. H. Walden & Sons   1935 - 1935
Walden Mine   Walden, Wyatt & Spicer   1936 - 1936
[Source2 - Index 2930 ]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Weaver Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 7 North, Range 9 West, Section 23
Brighton Township
Mine Name Operated By Year
Weaver Mine   Weaver   Unknown
[Source2 - Index 4537 ]
- - - - -       - - - - -
Woods Mine
The legal description lists this as Macoupin County - Township 12 North, Range 9 West, Section 4
Scottville Township
Mine Name Operated By Year
Woods Mine   Pete Woods   1934 - 1935
[Source2 - Index 2936 ]

 
Sources :
 
1 History of Macoupin County, 1911
                S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois.
2 Directory of Coal Mines in Macoupin County, Illinois
                Illinois State Geological Survey, 615 East Peabody Drive, Champaign, IL. 61820
                including : Gillespie North, Gillespie South, Mt. Olive, Virden North Quadrangles

3 Coal Men of America
                A Biographical and Historical Review of the World's Greatest Industry.
                by : Arthur M. Hall, Editor-In-chief & Sydney A. Hale, Assistant Editor
                Chicago, The Retail Coalman, Inc., 1918

4 1875 Atlas of Macoupin County, Illinois and the State of Illinois,
                published by Warner & Beers, Chicago, Illinois

5 Staunton in Illinois by: Kilduff, Mary Dorrell, 1988
6 Geological Survey of Illinois; A. H. Worthen, Director
                Volume VII, Geology & Paleontology, by A. H. Worthen, Orestes St. John and S. A. Miller
                with an addenda by Charles Wachsmuth and H. H. Harris
                Illustrated by Julius Mayer & Co., Boston, Mass.
                Published by the authority of the Legislature of Illinois, May 1883

7 Third Biennial Report, Bureau of Labor Statistics of Illinois, 1884
                Springfield, ILL.; H. W. Rokker, State Printer and Binder, 1884

8Statistics of Coal In Illinois 1885, A Supplemental Report, State Bureau of Labor Statistics
                Reports of Mine Inspectors, For the Year Ended July1, 1885
                Springfield, ILL; H. W. Roker, State Printer and Binder, 1885

10 Sixth Biennial Report of the Bureau of Labor Statistics of Illinois, 1890
                Springfield, ILL.; H. W. Rokker, State Printer and Binder, 1891

11 Statistics of Coal In Illinois 1893
                Twelveth Annual Report
                Springfield, ILL.; H. W. Rokker, State Printer and Binder, 1894

12 Statistics of Coal In Illinois 1894
                Thirteenth Annual Report
                Springfield, ILL.; ED.F. Hartman, State Printer, 1895

13 Statistics of Coal In Illinois 1895
                Fourteenth Annual Report
                Springfield, ILL.; ED.F. Hartman, State Printer, 1896

14 Sixteenth Annual Report of the State Bureau of Labor Statistics
                Coal in Illinois, 1897
                Springfield, ILL; Phillips Bros. State Printers, 1898

15 Twenty-Third Annual Coal Report of the Illinois Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1904
                also the Sixth Annual Report of the Illinois Free Employment Offices, for the Year Ended
                October 1, 1904, David Ross, Secretary; Springfield,
                Springfield: Illinois State Journal, State Printers, 1906

16 Twenty-Fourth Annual Coal Report of the Illinois Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1905
                also the Seventh Annual Report of the Illinois Free Employment Offices, for the Year Ended
                September 30, 1905, David Ross, Secretary; Springfield,
                Springfield: Illinois State Journal, State Printers, 1906

17 Twenty-Sixth Annual Coal Report of the Illinois Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1907
                also the Ninth Annual Report of the Illinois Free Employment Offices, for the Year Ended
                September 30, 1907, David Ross, Secretary; Springfield,
                Springfield, ILL.; Phillips Bros., State Printers, 1908

18 Thirty-Second Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1913
                State Mining Board
                Printed by authority of the State of Illinois
                Springfield, ILL.: Illinois State Journal Co., State Printers, 1914

19 Thirtieth-Third Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1914
                State Mining Board
                Springfield, Illinois; Illinois State Journal Co.. State Printers, 1914

20 Thirty-Fourth Annual Coal Report of Illinois
                1915 State Mining Board
                Printed by authority of the State of Illinois
                Springfield, ILL, Illinois State Journal Co., State Printers, 1915

21 Thirty-Fifth Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1916
                State Mining Board
                Springfield, ILL.; Illinois State Journal Co., State Printers 1916

22 Twenty-Sixth Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1917
                Department of Mines and Minerals
                Year Ended June 30, 1917
                Printed by authority of the State of Illinois
                Springfield: Illinois State Journal, State Printers, 1917

23 Thirty-Seventh Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1918
                Department of Mines and Minerals
                Printed by authority of the State of Illinois
                Springfield, ILL.; Illinois State Journal Co., State Printers 1916

24 Thirty-Eighth Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1919
                Department of Mines and Minerals
                Printed by authority of the State of Illinois
                Springfield, ILL.; Illinois State Journal Co., State Printers 1919

25 Forty-First Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1922
                State Mining Board
                Illinois Printing Co., Danville, ILL., 1922

26 Forty-Second Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1923
                Department of Mines and Minerals
                Illinois Printing Co., Danville, ILL., 1923

27 Forty-Eighth Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1929
                Department of Mines and Minerals
                Journal Printing Co., Springfield, ILL., 1930

28 Sixty Second Coal Report of Illinois, 1943
                Department of Mines and Minerals
                Printed by authority of the State of Illinois

29 A Compilation of the Reports of the Mining Industry of Illinois
                from the Earliest Records to 1954
                Printed by authority of the State of Illinois


 
Coal & Coal Mining in Illinois
 
© 2008 - 2017    Wayne Hinton
 
Contact
Coal Mining logo