header
Home | About | Illinois Coal Mining | Contact | Facebook logo
seperator decorative top bar

Illinois
Coal & Coal Mining
History & Genealogy

seperator decorative bottom bar
La Salle County, Illinois

Featuring Coal Mining
 
Coal Mines

Spelling of names is as they are reported in the State of Illinois records.
Fatalities Sources   (footnotes)

 
Alphabetical List of La Salle County, Illinois Coal Mines
A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K   
L    M    N    O    P    R    S    T    U    V    W

History
History of La Salle County, Illinois
Inter-State Publishing Co., Chicago, 1886
1886
At present there are five organized mining companies, viz.:
      Chicago, Wilmington & Vermillion, Star, Coal Run, River Bank, and Luther & Tyler.
 
      The Chicago, Wilmington & Vermillion is the largest, and is at present operating three shafts, each from eighty to one hundred feet in depth. On an average, about 1,500 men are employed, and over one-half the coal mined in Streator is produced by this company. W. S. Cherry is the Superintendent.
 
      The Star Coal Company operates one shaft at present, and employs about 200 men. The shaft was sunk in the winter of 1880; John Kangby is General Manager.
 
      The Eagle Shaft is at present being, worked by the Coal River Company. This company usually works from one to three shafts, and employs about 200 men; John Plumb is the Superintendent.
 
      J. C. Campbell is Superintendent of the River Bank Coal Company, which sunk its present shaft in July, 1881, and now employs from 125 to 175 men.
 
      The Luther & Tyler Coal and Coke Company employs from 125 to 150 men. The shaft that it is now working has been sunk about one year. Both proprietors are experienced in the coal business.
 
      Other parties are engaged in the mining business, and some quite extensively; following are the principal ones: Alexander Helm, Richard Evans, F. W. Eades, Lukins & Cavmiaugh, Eli Cope, J. D. Keir, Howe Bros., J. Crew, George Green, Courtney & Burgess, L. H. Mallory, M. J. Berrickman and J. W. Moore.
 
1886 - City of La Salle
      Coal mining has always been an important industry in La Salle. The first vein of coil was struck about the year 1854, and a shaft sunk; since then several shafts have been sunk. At present there are three in operation, one near the Illinois Central Railroad station, one in Matthiessen & Hegeler's zinc works, and one in the western part of the city. The coal is found in three seams, the first from 100 to 150 feet below the surface, the second from fifty to eighty feet farther down, and the third, containing the best quality of coal, is from 400 to 500 feet below the surface. The shafts now being worked reach only to the second seam.
 
1886 - Village of Marseilles
      The first settlers within the present limits of Marseilles were Wm. and Wm. W. Richey, father and son, who in the winter of 1831 began an improvement in the ravine where coal was first successfully mined in 1854. For a number of years the creek bore Mr. Richey's name, but the locality is now known as "Gum's Creek."
 
1886 - City of Peru
      Coal mining has always received considerable attention in Peru and the coal obtained is an excellent quality. There are three veins varying in depth as the surface of the soil. The first vein is about three and one-half to four feet thick; the second, four and one-half to six feet in depth, and the third about three and one-half feet thick. There are now two shafts being worked, the Union and the Cahill. The Union was sunk by C. C. Merriek about twelve years ago. It is now owned and operated by O'Conor, Duncan & Stewart. The shaft extends to the second and third veins, and is over 400 feet in depth. From 300 to 400 men are employed at this shaft. The shaft near the round-house is now an escape of the Union.
      The Cahill shaft was sunk in 1879 to the third vein, a distance of 355 feet. About 250 men are employed at this shaft. Most all the coal is shipped.
 
la Salle County, Illinois Coal Mines
A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K   
L    M    N    O    P    R    S    T    U    V    W

Biographies
BALDWIN, Moses
 
BLISH, Francis B.
 
BREWSTER, Theron D.
 
BRONSON, Frank
 
CREW, Joseph
 
CROKER, James
 
DUNCAN, Nicholas W.
 
EVANS, Richard
 
FARMER, John
 
FLETCHER, Ruffin Drew
 
GREEN, George Moore
 
HILLIER, John
 
HOWE, William
 
HUGGANS, Davidson
 
JACOBS, Robert
 
JOHNSON, Jasper
 
LUKINS, Frank M.
 
MADDEN, John M., Captain
 
SHELTON, Thomas
 
SIMPKIN, Samuel
 

A    Coal Mines
Acme Coal Mines -- 1892 - 1921
 
Adams & Tapley Coal Mine -- 1922 - 1923
 
Akers Coal Mine -- 1916 - 1917
 
Alberts Coal Mine -- 1948
 
Alloway & Stevie Coal Mine -- 1894 - 1903
      Alloway, Heince, Heinz, Heize, Olloway, Rushton, Stevie
 
Anchersates Coal Mine -- 1927 - 1928
 
Armstrong Coal Mines -- 1881 - 1936
      Armstrong, Phelps
 
Armstrong & Ray Coal Mine -- 1934
 
Atkinson Coal Mine -- 1919 - 1920

B    Coal Mines
B. & P. Coal Mine -- 1935 - 1939
      Costen, Costin
 
Baer & Roberts Coal Mines -- 1895 - 1896
 
Baiett & Talbot Coal Mine -- 1937 - 1944
 
Bailey Falls Coal Mine -- 1934 - 1935
 
Baldwin Coal Mine -- 1916 - 1917
 
Baldwin & Gilbert Coal Mine -- 1931
 
Bamwell Coal Mine -- 1900 - 1901
      Bamwell, Barnwell
 
Bargreen Coal Mines -- 1899 - 1919
 
Barnhart Coal Mine -- 1934
 
Bate & Cotter Coal Mine -- 1897 - 1898
 
Bavolac Coal Mine -- 1950
 
Bee Coal Mine -- 1935 - 1936
 
Beguin Coal Mines -- 1913 - 1934
 
Benson Coal Mine -- 1923 - 1925
      Bellrose, Benson
 
Bergren Coal Mine -- 1918
 
Big Four Coal Mine -- 1934
 
Bima Coal Mine -- 1939 - 1941
      Bima, Daddio
 
Black & White Coal Mine -- 1934 - 1935
 
Black Ball Coal Mine -- unknown
 
Black Hollow Coal Mine -- circa 1926
 
Blakely Coal Mine -- 1896 - 1897
 
Blank Coal Mine -- 1916 - 1917
 
Bliss Coal Mine -- 1891 - 1893
      Bliss, Fairbairn
 
Block Coal Mine -- 1934 - 1936
      Blak, Block
 
Blue Eagle Coal Mine -- 1934 - 1940
 
Bottomley Coal Mine -- 1904 - 1917
 
Brewer Coal Mines -- 1900 - 1918
 
Brooker Coal Mines -- 1903 - 1943
      Brocker, Broker, Brooker, Brookes, River View, Smith
 
Brooks Coal Mine -- 1935
 
Brown Coal Mines -- 1897 - 1939
 
Buchanan Coal Mines -- 1898 - 1910
 
Buckley Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1882
 
Buffalo Rock Coal Mines -- 1928 - 1942
 
Buffington Coal Mine -- 1939
 
Burgen Coal Mine -- 1909 - 1912
      Burgen, Burger, Buyin
 
Burgess & Courtney Coal Mine -- 1882 - 1885
 
Burgess Toll Coal Mine -- 1885 - 1887
 
Burns Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1882
 
Burrill & Dixon Coal Mine -- 1875 - 1879
 
Bussard Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1888

C    Coal Mines
C., W. & F. No. 3 Coal Mine (Chicago, Wilmington & Franklin) -- 1908 - 1916
 
C., W. & V. Coal Mines (Chicago, Wilmington & Vermilion) -- 1870 - 1914
 
Cain Coal Mine -- 1890
 
Caledonia Coal Mine -- 1870 - 1884
      Caledonia, Duncan, Mitchell, Shea
 
Campen Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1882
 
Carey Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1882
 
Carlin & Gorman Coal Mine -- 1928 - 1933
 
Carpenter Coal Mine -- 1896 - 1897
 
Caverly Coal Mine -- unknown
 
Cedar Point Coal Mine -- 1906 - 1924
 
Cenkouch Coal Mine -- 1934
 
Chamberlain Coal Mine -- 1927
 
Chamberlan & Tarpy Coal Mine -- 1919 - 1920
 
Childs Coal Mine -- unknown
 
Clark Coal Mines -- 1883 - 1919
      Clark, Gudgel, Kelly
 
Coal Run Coal Company
 
Commonwealth Sand Coal Mine -- 1918 - 1921
 
Congress Coal Mine -- 1934
 
Conquelin Coal Mine -- 1891 - 1895
      Caguelin, Conquelin
 
Contorre Coal Mine -- 1927 - 1929
 
Corbus Coal Mine -- 1883
 
Corrigan Coal Mines -- 1919 - 1937
      Carrigan, Corrigan
 
Crawford Coal Mine -- 1934
 
Crew Coal Mine -- circa 1866 - 1888
      Crew, Crewe, Vermilion
 
Crompton Coal Mine -- 1904 - 1910
 
Cross & Engle Coal Mine -- 1922 - 1923
 
Cunningham Coal Mines -- 1881 - 1883

D    Coal Mines
Daly Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1882
 
Davidson & Fulwiler Coal Mine -- 1920 - 1921
 
Dawson Coal Mines -- 1897 - 1908
 
Dawson & Gray Coal Mine -- 1898 - 1899
 
Decker Coal Mine -- 1935
 
Deer Coal Mine -- 1938 - 1939
 
Deer Park Coal Mine -- prior to 1876 - 1920
      Deer Park, Illinois Zinc, La Salle, Reynolds
 
Delbridge Coal Mine -- 1895 - 1901
 
DeMoss Coal Mine -- 1910 - 1918
      DeMoss, Reading, Redding, Scott
 
Denning Coal Mine -- 1882 - 1883
 
Dickens Coal Mine -- 1934 - 1935
 
Dimick Hill Coal Mines -- 1928 - 1939
      Baldoni, Dimick Hill, Waggener
 
Donovan Coal Mine -- 1950 - 1955
 
Drake Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1893
      Carney, Drake, Love, Shelton, Spicer, Watkins
 
Duckett Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1882

E    Coal Mines
Eads Coal Mine -- prior to 1881 - 1890
      Eades, Eads
 
Eagle Coal Mine -- 1883 - 1893
      Baldwin, Coal Run, Eagle
 
Eagle Clay Works Coal Mine -- 1893 - 1898
      Eagle, Plumb, Thomas
 
East Ottawa Relief Coal Mine -- 1934
 
East Side Coal Mine -- 1935 - 1936
 
Edson Coal Mines -- 1898 - 1904
 
Englebrecht Coal Mine -- 1925 - 1935
      Engelbrecht, Englebrecht
 
Eureka Coal Mine -- 1849 - _?_
 
Evans Coal Mines -- 1881 - 1907

F    Coal Mines
Fairbairn Coal Mines -- 1883 - 1899
      Fairbairn, Fairlairn
 
Faletto Coal Mine -- 1934 - 1935
 
Farmers Coal Mine -- 1918 - 1919
 
Farmers Fuel Coal Mine -- 1905
 
Farrell Coal Mine -- 1901 - 1904
 
Fetters & Ratcliffe Coal Mine -- 1938 - 1939
      Fetters, Ratcliffe, Ratliff
 
Fishburn Coal Mines -- 1895 - 1925
 
Fitzgerald Coal Mine -- 1934
 
Fletcher & Smith Coal Mine -- 1934 - 1935
 
Fox Coal Mines -- 1881 - 1942
 
Francisco Coal Mine - 1909 - 1910
 
French Coal Mine -- 1926 - 1955
 
Frost Coal Mine -- 1895 - 1897

G    Coal Mines
Gallaway & Heinz Coal Mine -- 1896
 
George Coal Mine -- 1934 - 1935
      George, Georgia
 
Gilbert Coal Mines -- 1915 - 1931
 
Gilles Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1882
 
Goodmanson & Dawson Coal Mine -- 1888 - 1893
 
Gorman Coal Mine -- 1924
 
Grygiel Coal Mine -- 1935
 
Gulvas Coal Mine -- 1929

H    Coal Mines
Haar Coal Mine -- 1899 - 1907
      Castetter, Haar, Harr
 
Haldeman Coal Mine -- 1887 - 1888
 
Halffinch Coal Mine -- 1897 - 1898
 
Hamilton Coal Mine -- 1934
 
Harcharick Coal Mine -- 1934 - 1941
      Harcharich, Harcharck, Harcharick
 
Harrington Coal Mine -- 1893 - 1895
 
Harrison Coal Mines -- 1887 - 1915
      Harrison, Koenig, Savage
 
Haskins Coal Mine -- 1905 - 1906
 
Haswell Coal Mines -- prior to 1876 - 1896
 
Hazelnut Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1882
 
Heenanville Coal Mine -- 1901 - 1926
      Francis, Heenanville, Roberts
 
Helm Coal Mine -- 1883
 
Hendee Coal Mine -- 1899 - 1919
      Handee, Handy, Hende, Hendee, Hindee, Myer
 
Hepp Coal Mine -- 1904 - 1908
 
Herrick Coal Mine -- 1912 - 1929
      Dayton, Herrick
 
Heth Coal Mine -- 1935 - 9136
 
Hill & Wahl Coal Mine -- 1910 - 1928
      Brown, Hill, Wahl
 
Hillside Coal Mine -- 1935 - 1940
      Hillside, Lux, Poldek
 
Himelrick & Stevens Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1883
 
Hirst Coal Mine -- 1895 - 1897
 
Hive & Robertson Coal Mine -- 1882 - 1884
 
Hoganson Coal Mine -- 1918
 
Holdridge Coal Mine -- 1882 - 1887
 
Holloway Coal Mine -- 1934
 
Holm Coal Mine -- 1917 - 1918
 
Howard Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1885
 
Howe Coal Mines -- 1881 - 1908
      Harrison, Heatherington, House, Howe, Reeves, Wignall
 
Howe & Roberts Coal Mine -- 1888 - 1889
 
Howell Coal Mine -- 1910 - 1913
      Howell, Hurst
 
Howell & Baker Coal Mine -- 1904 - 1905
 
Hozie Coal Mine -- 1917 - 1926
 
Huber & Ray Coal Mine -- 1949
 
Hudson & Stubbs Coal Mine -- 1894 - 1896
 
Humenick & Surrock Coal Mine -- 1939
 
Hyde Coal Mine -- 1949 - 1952
 
Hyduk Coal Mine -- 1936 - 1942
      Hyduk, Woods
 
Hydraulic Press Brick Coal Mine -- 1941 - 1959
      Higgins, Hydraulic, Mart, Starved Rock, Streator Brick

I    Coal Mines
Ideal Coal Mine -- 1920 - 1921
 
Iliff Coal Mine -- 1936 - 1937
 
Illinois Clay Products Coal Mine -- 1913 - 1924
      Illinois Clay, Jones
 
Illinois R. V. Coal Mine -- 1890
 
Illinois Valley Coal Mine -- 1955 - 1957
      Dubach, Illinois Valley Illinois Zinc Coal Mine -- 1879 - 1947
      Cahill, Illinois Zinc, Peru Deep Vein, United
 
Imperial Clay Coal Mine -- 1924

J    Coal Mines
Johnson Coal Mines -- 1934 - 1939
 
Johnson & Hendis Coal Mine -- 1905 - 1906
 
Jones Coal Mine -- 1865 - 1930
      Jones, Illinois Valley, LaSalle Carbon

K    Coal Mines
Kain Coal Mine -- 1897 - 1899
      Cain, Kain
 
Kangley Coal Mines -- unknown
 
Kenegan Coal Mine -- 1934
 
Kentucky Coal Mine -- 1856 - 1879
      Cowey, Kentucky, La Salle, Northern Illinois
 
Kimes Coal Mines -- 1917 - 1937
 
Kirnes Coal Mine -- 188 - 1895
 
Kollar Coal Mine -- 1929 - 1958

L    Coal Mines
LaPrant Coal Mine -- 1882 - 1883
 
La Salle Coal Mine -- 1856 - 1930
 
Latchford Coal Mine -- 1934 - 1935
 
Lawton Coal Mines -- 1890 - 1920
 
Lehnemen Coal Mine -- 1923 - 1924
      Lehnbauser, Lehnemen
 
Liptak Coal Mine -- 1902 - 1923
      Kimes, Liptack, Liptak
 
Little Rock Coal Mine -- unknown
 
Lockwood & Dietman Coal Mine -- 1904 - 1905
 
Looney Coal Mine -- 1934
 
Love Coal Mine -- 1898
 
Lowell Pottery Coal Mine -- 1905 - 1908
 
Lucas Coal Mine -- 1916 - 1917
 
Lukins & Cavanaugh -- prior to 1878 - 1892
      Brooks, Cavanaugh, Coal Run, Lukins, Peanut
 
Lyons Coal Mine -- 1895 - 1896

M    Coal Mines
Mackey Coal Mine -- 1883 - 1884
 
Malley Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1882
 
Marsden Coal Mine -- 1882 - 1883
 
Marseilles Coal Mine -- circa 1892
 
Marseilles Co-operative Coal Mine -- 1892 - 1941
      Galloway, Illinois Valley, Manufacturers, Marseilles, Ottawa, South Side
 
Marshall Coal Mine -- 1900 - 1902
      Marshall, Massey
 
Martin Coal Mines -- 1934 - 1936
 
Martine Coal Mine -- 1935
 
Martino Coal Mines -- 1934 - 1941
      Marteno, Martino
 
Massey Coal Mine -- 1884 - 1936
      Davis, Massey, Pratt, Worthington
 
Matthiessen & Hegeler Coal Mine -- 1874 - 1937
 
Mayo Coal Mine -- 1926
      Johnson, Mayo, Mays
 
McClairry Coal Mine -- 1883 -1894
      McClairry, McClairy, McClarry
 
McCarthy Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1882
 
McCleary Coal Mine -- 1909 - 1911
 
McClernon Coal Mines -- 1909 - 1936
      Hughes, McClernon, McLarm, Wear
 
McCready Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1883
 
McCullough Coal Mines -- 1895 - 1934
 
McGaur Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1882
 
McLean Coal Mine -- 1927 - 1937
 
McMillin Coal Mines -- 1904 - 1917
      McMillen, McMillin, Turk
 
McNeil Coal Mines -- 1894 - 1916
      McNeal, McNeil
 
McNeil & Fink Coal Mine -- 1922 - 1925
 
Merrick Coal Mine -- 1857 - 1873
      Merrick, Peru
 
Mertz Coal Mine -- 1902 - 1909
 
Meyers Coal Mines -- 1938 - 1956
 
Midwest Coal Mine -- 1936 - 1937
      Happy Hollow, Midwest
 
Midwest Brick Coal Mine -- 1930 - 1937
 
Miller Coal Mines -- 1881 - 1934
 
Mitchell Coal Mine -- 1911 - 1917
      Mitchell, Rossi
 
Mitchell & Brown Coal Mine -- 1922 - 1942
      Beemer, Bramer, Brewer, Brown, Mitchell
 
Mitchell & Jackson Coal Mine -- 1882 - 1884
 
Monmouth Stone Coal Mine -- 1950 - 1954
 
Mooney Coal Mines -- 1916 - 1934
 
Moran Coal Mine -- 1917 - 1940
      Fink, Golden, Goldin, Goldins, Goldino, Goldon, Goldone, Goldoni, Moran, Teldone
 
Morse Coal Mine -- 1904 - 1905
 
Munts Coal Mines -- 1897 - 1938
      Mertz, Monts, Mounts, Munts, Muntz
 
Murphy Coal Mines -- 1881 - 1882
 
Myers Coal Mine -- 1901 - 1902
 
Myers & Castetter Coal Mine -- 1894 - 1897
 
Myslewig Coal Mine -- 1919

N    Coal Mines
Nelson Coal Mine -- 1896 - 1900
 
Nelson & Stokes Coal Mines -- 1903 - 1910
 
Noonan Coal Mine -- 1938
 
North Wilmington Coal Mine -- 1902 - 1906

O    Coal Mines
Oak Coal Mine -- 1936 - 1942
      Ellsworth, McMillin, Mordell, Oak, Oaks
 
Oglesby Coal Mine -- 1865 - 1919
      Bent, Kenosha, Marquette, Oglesby
 
Osage Coal Mine -- 1935 - 1950
 
Osborn & Crew Coal Mine -- 1887 - 1889
 
Ottawa Coal Mines -- 1932 - 1943
      Dwin, Ottawa
 
Ottawa Silica Coal Mine -- 1927 - 1929
 
Ottawa United Relief Coal Mine -- 1931 - 1932
 
Otter Creek Coal Mines -- 1886 - 1923
      Coal Run, Otter Creek, Plumb, Prairie Creek

P    Coal Mines
Padmore & Love Coal Mine -- 1889 - 1891
 
Payne & Littrell Coal Mine -- 1934 - 1935
 
Peacock Coal Mine -- 1934 - 1942
      Harrington, Meyers, Myers, Peacock, Smith, South Ottawa, Stevenson
 
Peanut Coal Mine -- circa 1873 - 1884
      Coal Run, Peanut
 
Pedelty & Mitchell Coal Mine -- 1917 - 1921
 
Penman Coal Mines -- 1887 - 1900
 
Persinger & Thomas Coal Mine -- 1938 - 1941
      Lowell, Persinger, Thomas
 
Petrotte Coal Mine -- 1914 - 1925
      Petrotte, Petrotti
 
Pettigrew Coal Mine -- 1936 - 1941
 
Pikes Coal Mine -- circa 1930 - 1933
 
Piney Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1899
      Beneckindorf, Piney, Piny
 
Planger Coal Mine -- 1898 - 1899
 
Pohar Coal Mine -- 1934
 
Point Rock Coal Mine -- 1933 - 1934
 
Porter Coal Mine -- 1912 - 1960
      Chicago Retort Fire Brick, Christy, LaClede, Porter
 
Prairie Coal Mine -- 1937
 
Prairie Creek Coal Mine -- 1911 - 1919
      Hill, Prairie Creek, Reehl, Rheel, Thomas
 
Prator Coal Mine -- 1934 - 1939
 
Pratt Coal Mines -- 1906 - 1936
 
Price Coal Mine -- 1934 - 1935
 
Price & Jones Coal Mines -- 1887 - 1900
      Dawson, James, Jones, Price
 
Proudfoot & Davis Coal Mine -- 1931 - 1934
 
Pursehouse Coal Mine -- 1896 - 1897
 
Purshuse Coal Mine -- 1891 - 1892

R    Coal Mines
Ray Coal Mines -- 1919 - 1941
      Armstrong, Ray
 
Redding & Bednar Coal Mine -- 1927
 
Rethenbaugh Coal Mine -- 1929
 
Ringer & Hostetter Coal Mine -- 1903 - 1905
 
Ritz Coal Mine -- 1934 - 1935
 
River Bank Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1886
 
Robbins Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1882
 
Roberts Coal Mines -- 1881 - 1935
 
Rockwell Coal Mine -- 1880 - 1912
      Carbon, La Salle County, Northern Illinois, Rockwell
 
Roger Clay Coal Mine -- 1923 - 1924
 
Rogers Coal Mine -- 1929 - 1931
 
Royal Sand & Clay Coal Mine -- 1928 - 1929
 
Rutland Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1936
      Hakes, Magher, Lyon, Northern Illinois, Rutland, U. S. Coal & Coke
 
Ruyon Coal Mine -- 1934 - 1935
 
Ryan Coal Mines -- 1891 - 1924
 
Rynn & Roberts Coal Mine -- 1893 - 1897

S    Coal Mines
Salt Well Coal Mine -- 1934 - 1939
      Ampusitis, Roth, Salt Well
 
Samolinski Coal Mine -- 1940 - 1942
 
Sanchez Coal Mine -- 1934
 
Sarnberger Coal Mine -- 1882 - 1884
 
Saxby Coal Mine -- 1900 - 1904
      Saxby, Saxly
 
Scherer Coal Mine -- 1920 - 1921
 
Scott Coal Mines -- 1884 - 1900
 
Seneca Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1922
      Gray, Jones,Platt, Seneca, Willfred
 
Senko Coal Mine -- 1910 - 1942
      Ahren, Bavlor, Bavolar, Bolaver, La Katos, Senko, Uhrin
 
Seroka Coal Mines --1914 - 1927
      Flavell, Kimes, Roberts, Seroka
 
Seventh Street Coal Mine -- 1935 - 1939
      Huber, Seventh Street
 
Shaws Hill Coal Mine -- 1934
 
Shelone Coal Mine -- unknown
 
Shelton Coal Mine -- 1922 - 1923
 
Silver Coal Mine -- 1906 - 1937
      Chicago Fire Brick, Kickapoo, Silver, Spicer
 
Sinnott Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1882
 
Sleepy Hollow Coal Mine -- unknown
 
Slenko Coal Mine -- 1918
 
Smith Coal Mines -- 1895 - 1942
      Connors, Smith, Willet
 
Smith & Harrington Coal Mines -- 1934
 
Solsby Coal Mine -- 1928 - 1935
      Fonewiler, Fullweiler, Fulwiler, Fulwive, Saulsby, Solsby
 
Sowerby Coal Mines -- 1895 - 1906
      Sawerby, Sowenby, Sowerby, Sowerly, Sowery
 
Spring Lake Coal Mines -- 1899 - 1940
      Spring Lake, Star
 
Standard Coal Mine -- circa 1875 - 1902
      Henry, Letsom, McCleary, Prendergast, Standard, Tatterson
 
Star Coal Mines -- 1887 - 1953
      Baer, Hill, Ripley, Roberts, Star, Streator, Wahl, Wilmington
 
Starkey Coal Mines -- 1904 - 1935
      Felton, Starke, Starkey, Voight
 
Starved Rock Coal Mine-- 1934 - 1937
 
Stearn & Eccleson Coal Mine -- 1894 - 1895
 
Steele Coal Mine -- 1904 - 1912
      Johnson, Steele
 
Stevenson Coal Mine -- 1936 - 1938
      Myers, Stevenson
 
Stobs Coal Mines -- 1908 - 1911
 
Streator Coal Mines -- prior to 1876 - 1886 & 1940 - 1943
      Luther, Streator, Tyler
 
Streator Fuel Coal Mine -- 1907 - 1910
 
Streator Relief Coal Mine -- 1934
 
Streator Union Coal Mine -- 1932 - 1938
 
Swanson & Burgess Coal Mine -- 1934
 
Swarthout Coal Mine -- 1896 - 1898

T    Coal Mines
Taylor Coal Mine -- 1897 - 1903
      Jennings, Taylor
 
Thomas Coal Mines -- 1893 - 1935
      Thomas, Thorn, Thorne
 
Thomas & Durham Coal Mine -- 1904
 
Tisler Coal Mine -- 1898 - 1899
 
Twin Bluffs Coal Mines -- 1911 - 1920
      National Fire Proofing, Twin Bluffs

U    Coal Mines
Union Coal Mine -- 1874 - 1949
      Duncan, Kilgovern, La Salle County Carbon, Union
 
U. S. Silica Coal Mine -- 1897 - 1899
 
Utica Coal Mines -- prior to 1883 - 1936

V    Coal Mines
Vallet Coal Mine -- 1917 - 1918
 
Van Grundy Coal Mine -- 1934
 
Vazaine Coal Mine -- 1897 - 1905
      Verzain, Vazain, Vazaine
 
Vipond & Edmunds Coal Mine -- 1895 - 1896
 
Vermilion Coal Mine -- 1934 - 1935
 
Vermilionville Coal Mine -- circa 1930 - circa 1933

W    Coal Mines
Walsh & Woodward Coal Mine -- 1934
 
Warner Coal Mine -- 1928
 
Warwick Coal Mine -- 1905 - 1909
      Warmek, Warnock, Warwick
 
Welch Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1882
 
West Side Coal Mine -- 1937 - 1941
      West Side, Worthington
 
Westerlund Coal Mine -- 1890 - 1902
      Nelson, Westerbund, Westerland, Westerlund
 
Whalen Coal Mine -- 1881 - 1882
 
White Coal Mines -- 1882 - 1906
 
Wilmington Coal Mines -- 1913 - 1935
      Echo, National Fire Proofing, Pioneer, Wilmington
 
Wilsman Coal Mines -- 1899 - 1901
      Engelbrecht, Roth, Wilsman
 
Wilson Coal Mine -- 1934 - 1935
 
Wonders Coal Mine -- 1916 - 1917
 
Woods Coal Mine -- 1926 - 1936
      Ryan, Woods
 
Worthington Coal Mines -- 1922 - 1933
      Petrotte, Worthington
 

Biographies
History of La Salle County, Illinois
Inter-State Publishing Co., Chicago, 1886
Moses Baldwin was born June 26, 1837, at Surrowe, South Wales, but was reared at Victoria, a few miles from his birthplace. At the age of twelve years he began to work in the iron and coal mines near Victoria, where he was employed in Shaft No. 5, for sixteen years. He followed mining in Wales till 1869, when he came to the United States with his family, landing at New York, Oct. 11, 1869. He came to Illinois and first worked in the coal mines at Bloomington till January, 1871, when he came to Streator, where he has since been engaged as a minor in Shaft No. 1, of the Chicago, Wilmington & Vermillion Coal Company. Dec. 25, 1857, he was married by Rev. James Hughes, Rector of Llanhelrlt Parish, Monmouthshire, Wales, to Miss Elizabeth Andrews, from Clutton, Somersetshire, England. To them have been born thirteen children -- Henry and Morgan, of Streator; Charlotte, wife of George Alexander.of Spring Valley, Illl.; Samuel, Lewellen, Jemima, Elizabeth and Louisa, all of Streator; and five who died in childhood. Mr. Baldwin is a member of Centennial Lodge, No. 14. A. O. U. W., of Streator.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Francis B. Blish,, youngest son of Joseph and Abigail Blish, of La Salle, was born in this city Feb. 21, 1852. He attended the school of La Salle, and at the age of fourteen he entered his father's store as a clerk. He afterward clerked in the drug store of F. G. Crane, and later in F. L. Ayres' drug store. He then returned to his father's store, and- soon after bought him out, and in 1872 he commenced business for himself in a general variety store which he sold out to Barnes & Gillett in 1874. He then accepted the position of bookkeeper with the Northern Illinois Coal Company, then was bookkeeper for Oglesby Coal Company, being in the employ of the latter company five years. He then accepted his present position as bookkeeper of the La Salle National Bank which position he has held four years. He has been Treasurer of the Eureka Building Association since its organization. He is an active supporter of the Congregational church, of which he has been Treasurer for the past three years. He was married in June, 1883, to Mary M. Bronson, daughter of the late Rev. George F. Bronson, of La Salle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Theron D. Brewster, one of the first settlers of Peru, was born Feb. 29, 1812, in Salisbury, Litchfield Co., Conn., the eldest son of Daniel and Asenath (Canfield) Brewster, natives of Connecticut, and descendants of the old Puritan stock. When he was sixteen years old his mother died, and his father died in December, 1835. Theron was reared on a farm, his father being an extensive farmer and sheep-raiaer, beside running a dairy. He received his primary education in the common schools, and later attended the academy at Westfield. On reaching maturity he came West, and in the summer of 1835 he located at Peru, Ill., and began clerking in a store. Six months later, on the death of his father, he returned to his home in Connecticut. He returned to Peru in the fall of 1836 and began dealing in real estate, and the same fall laid out Ninawa addition to the city of Peru. In 1843 he engaged in the mercantile business in partnership with Heman Baldwin, with whom he was associated three years. He then began dealing in grain, and built a large warehouse on the bank of the Illinois River, where he carried on an extensive business in the name of Brewster & Beebe. At the end of five years he rented his warehouse and engaged in the dry-goods business, being associated with E. Heggins several years. He then, in 1856, sank the Peru Coal Shaft, which was owned by a stock company, of which Mr. Brewster was elected President, the shaft being worked about seventeen years. He then became connected with the Peru Plow Company, which he managed till 1882, when it was organized as a stock companywith a paid up-capital of $120,000, of which Messrs. Brewster, Hoagling & William L. Huse are the principal stock-holders. It is operated under the name of the Peru Plow Company, and is one of the main industries of the town. After the organization of the company Mr. Brewster retired from active business. He was married in 1844 to Miss Phoebe Mann, a native of Pennsylvania, who died in 1849, leaving a son and a daughter. He was married again to Miss Margaret Jones, of Pittsburg, Pa. They have four children living, two sons and two daughters. Mr. Brewster has served as Treasurer of the School Board some eight years, and in 1838 he held the office of Town Trustee. He was the first Mayor of Peru, elected in 1851, re-elected in 1852, and again in 1854. He was one of the first Directors of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad, and was a member of the executive committee, and was one of the principal men in working up the enterprise. Although not a member of any religious denomination he has been a very liberal supporter of the Congregational church. His present residence, which was built in 1841, is a large and imposing two-story brick, and is in a good state of preservation. Mr. Brewster is now in his seventy-fourth year, and is still vigorous in both mind and body.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Frank Bronson, engineer at Coal Shaft No. 1 at Streator, is a native of Streator, born Sept. 25, 1861, a son of William Martin Bronson, a pioneer of Streator, La Salle County. Our subject was variously employed during his boyhood and in 1880 he began to work at Shaft No. 1, under Pit Boss Edward Atkinson, as a fireman. One year later he was promoted to be engineer, the position he now holds. He was married March 12, 1885, to Miss Cassie DeWitt, of Streator.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Joseph Crew, coal operator, was born in the village of Wickwar, Gloucestershire, England, June 11, 1843. He was reared a miner at Kingswood, Gloucestershire, remaining there with his parents until manhood. In 1870 he came to the United States, and was at Jackson, Mich., a short time, and in April, 1871, he came to Streator, where he has since resided. He was first engaged in mining at the Vermillion Coal Mine, where he worked till 1874, when he opened a shaft of his own in the vicinity of Streator, known as Crew's shaft which he still operates. June 9, 1868, he was married to Miss Eliza Smedley, of Normanton, Yorkshire, England. They have four children -- Samuel George, Mary Norman,William Thomas and Robert Charles. Mr. Crew is a member of the Order of Modern Woodmen of Streator, Illl.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
James Croker, a miner and local preacher, was born Feb. 15, 1844, in Wilkshire, England, a son of James and Eliza ( Cole ) Croker. His mother dying when he was four years old, he was reared by his grandparents and lived with them in England, Wales and France. At the age of eighteen years he began to work for himself as a teamster in Cardiff, South Wales, which he followed about nine years. He then in 1870 immigrated to America and at once came to Streator, Illl., where he was employed by the Chicago, Wilmington & Vermillion Coal Company, as a driver in Shaft No. 1 for ten years. He then worked as a miner in the same shaft thirteen years, which position he still holds. When twenty-two years old he experienced religion at Cardiff, South Wales, and became a member of the Baptist church. On coming to Streator he became connected with the Park Presbyterian Church, but in 1875 he transferred his membership to the Primitive Methodist church. Having received but a limited education he by private study prepared himself for a local preacher, and at the request of the pastor and members of the Primitive Methodist church at Streator, he became a local preacher of that denomination. He has been Superintendent of their Sabbath-school for nine years. He was married at Cardiff, South Wales, to Miss Elizabeth Williams, of that place. They have two children living -- John and Eliza Ann. Willie died in infancy. Mr. Croker is a member of Excelsior Lodge, No. 927, K. & L. of H., and is Deputy Grand Protector of the Grand Lodge of the State of Illinois. He is a staunch temperance man, and has passed all the chairs in the Good Templar order.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Nicholas W. Duncan, Superintendent of the Union Coal Company, of Peru, was born in La Salle, La Salle Co., Illl., in December, 1856, and is the second son living of Nicholas and Isabella (McBoyle) Duncan. He received his primary education in the schools of his native place, and later spent five years at the Seminary of Our Lady of Angels, at Suspension Bridge, N. Y., taking the degree of A. B., after which he returned to La Salle and commenced the study of law, which he continued until his father's death, in 1879. His father was one of the original incorporators of what is now the Union Coal Works, and in 1879 Nicholas W. Duncan took charge of the retail department of the coal works, and in 1884 became general manager at the Peru works. Mr. Duncan was married in October, 1882, to Miss Mary A. Stuart, daughter of John Stuart, of La Salle. They have two children -- J. Stuart and Nicholas V. He and his wife are members of St. Patrick's Church, of this city.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Richard Evans, coal operator and proprietor of Dick Evans's shaft, was born in Oswastry, North Wales, June 23, 1834. He began to work in the coal mines of his native country at the age of eleven years. His parents both dying before he was sixteen years old he was obliged to support himself at that age. When seventeen years old he went to Scotland and worked in the Cleallen coal mines, and continued to work in the coal mines of Scotland and England J till 1856, when he came to America. He then went to West Virginia and worked as a miner in the West Columbia coal mines about two years, when he went to Kentucky and was employed in the coal mines at Caseyville for a short time, after which he worked in the mines of Pomeroy, Ohio, and from there came to La Salle County, Ill., in the fall of 1859. He located at Hardscrabble, now Streator, where he and his brothers, Edward and Thomas, leased coal lands and operated in coal a short time. He then went to Kewanee, Illl., and from there to Fairfield, Iowa, working in the mines at those places until 1862, when he went to Battery Rock, Ill., and opened the Star coal mines, which he worked till they were exhausted, in 1865, when he visited his native country with his family, returning the same fall. On his return he leased the Union coal mines, near Elizabethtown, Ky., which he operated a short time, when he began prospecting for coal in that vicinity. In 1867 he returned to Streator and he and his brother Thomas sank the Evans shaft, near Streator. His brother dying in 1869 he has since operated that shaft alone, and has sunk four shafts. He was married Aug. 7, 1856, to Hannah Malpas, of North Staffordshire, Eng. They have seven children living -- Margaret,wife of George McMahan, of Morris, Illl.; John, Mary Ann, Rich and, Edward, Josiah and Alice, all living at home except Margaret. Five children are deceased.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
John Farmer, supposed to be the oldest native of La Salle County, was born March 4, 1844, in the city of La Salle, Ill., a son of Henry and Jane (Gannon) Farmer, natives of Ireland. When about five years of age his parents moved to a farm in Waltham Township, La Salle County, where he was reared to manhood. On attaining his majority he rented a farm in Waltham Township, and engaged in agricultural pursuits for himself, remaining there for one year. In 1866 he went to Chebanse Township, Iroquois County, Ill., where he farmed till 1869. In 1870 he came to Streator and was engaged as a teamster till 1873, since which he has been in the employ of the Chicago, Wilmington & Vermillion Coal Company, having the management of their teams, freight, etc. In 1881 he was elected and held the office of Trustee of the village of Streator. Oct. 19, 1869, he was married at Kankakee to Katy Hickey, of Chebanse, Ill. They have five children -- Jennie, Henry, Mattie, Josie and Ada. Mr. and Mrs. Farmer are members of the Immaculate Conception Church at Streator.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Ruffin Drew Fletcher, son of John H. and Alice (Bennyworth) Fletcher, was born in Montgomery County, Tenn., Dec. 2, 1840. In his eleventh year, in 1851, his parents removed to Fayette, Green County, Illl., and in 1857 they permanently located at Nilwood, Macoupin County. Our subject was reared on a farm, receiving a common-school education, and remaining with his parents until manhood. In July, 1862, he enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Twenty-second Illinois Infantry, to serve three years. He participated in the battles of Parker's Cross Roads, Tenn., and Tupelo, Miss., and was for some time on detached service as clerk in the commissary department, and also with the Quartermasters' department for Freedmen, and was discharged at Mobile, Ala., at the close of the war in July, 1865. After being mustered out he returned to Nilwood, Illl., and farmed about three years, when, in 1868, he entered the employ of the Chicago & Alton Railroad Company as telegraph operator at Mason City, Ill. In January, 1872, he came to Streator where he was employed as telegraph operator for the same company until 1873. In July, 1873, he was engaged by the Chicago, Wilmington & Vermillion Coal Company as telegraph operator, in which capacity he served about five years, since which time he has been shipping clerk for the same company. In April, 1883, he was elected a School Director of the public schools of Streator for a term of four years. Jan. 12, 1873, he was married to Rachel S. Proctor, daughter of Richard Proctor, of Mason City, Illl. They have two children -- Edna M. and Ralph P. Mr. Fletcher is a member of Streator Lodge, No. 607, A. F. & A. M., and of Streator Chapter, No. 168, R. A. M.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
George Moore Green, was born near the city of Durham, England, Sept. 11, 1834. When twelve years of age he began to work in the coal mines near his birth place. In 1863 he came to the United States, first locating at Pomeroy, Ohio, where he was engaged in coal mining. In September, 1865, he came to La Salle County, Ill., and was employed by S. Bradford & Co., to prospect for coal near Streator, and at that time sank the shaft known as the Oil shaft. In 1866 he began operating in coal mining on leased land near Streator. From 1872 till 1874 he prospected for coal for several parties in Streator, after which he was engaged as foreman of the Streator Coal Company, which position he held till 1884. In 1885 he purchased forty-seven acres of coal land, which he intended to operate, but sold the land during the same year to Luther Tyler & Co., since which he has been Superintendent of their mines. He was first married in August, 1855, to Mary Bruce, of Durham County, England, who died at Streator, leaving four children -- Anna, wife of Joseph Westwood, of Nebraska; John G., Henry and Lizzie. He was again married Feb. 4, 1872, in Brookfield, La Salle County, to Achsah Blanchard, and to this union have been born five children -- Robert W., Phoebe Isabelle, Thomas, Alba and Margaret.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
John Hillier, is a native of Somersetshire, England, born July 31, 1831. He was reared a miner, and at the age of ten years began working in the Twerton mine near his birthplace, where he was employed four years. He then worked in the coal and iron mines in Victoria, South Wales, sixteen years until 1861, and during the last year was foreman of one of the mines, during which time he sank three shafts for the Ebba Vale Coal Company. In 1861 he immigrated to the United States, and first located at Mineral Ridge, Ohio, where he was employed as a contractor to sink coal shafts, and after completing his contract he became Superintendent, having full charge until 1865 when he removed to Keeversville, Ill., where he with four other parties purchased a mine and operated in coal until 1869. He then went to Bloomington, Illl., and sank the Bloomington coal shaft, which he superintended until 1871, when he came to Streator, where he sank three shafts for the C., W. & V. Coal Company which he superintended until 1880, when he was employed by General John A. Logan to sink a coal shaft at Murphysboro,Ill., which took him almost a year to complete. He then returned to Streator and opened the River Bank Coal Company's shaft which he superintended a few months, when he went to Atlanta, Ill., and partially sank a coal shaft in that place, after which he again returned to Streator and repaired the coal shafts for the Coal Run Coal Company. In 1878 he was elected, and held the office of Trustee of Streator. July 29, 1850, he was married to Miss Amelfa Baldwin of Ruardean , Gloucestershire, England. They have a family of five children living -- Salina, Thomas, Sarah Ann (wife of Michael Simpson, of Streator), Lizzie wife of James Price, of Streator), and George. They have also an orphaned grandson living with them. Six sons and one daughter are deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Hillier are attendants of the Primitive Methodist church of Streator. He is a member of Edina Lodge, No. 391, I. O. O. F., of Streator. He is an extensive property holder in Streator, owning ten houses and lots.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
William Howe, was born Jan. 31, 1839, in Bath, Somersetshire, England. At the age of fourteen years he left his home and went to South Wales, where he worked in the coal and iron mines until he was twenty-one years old. In the fall of 1859 he came to the United States, and was first employed as a fireman in a steam flouring mill at Mendota, Ill., for a short time, after which he worked in the coal mines at Kewanee, Ill. He then worked in various coal mines in Illinois, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Maryland, until the spring of 1871, when he came to Streator and helped to open No. 1 Coal Shaft near Streator. In the following fall he was employed by the Vermillion Coal Company to prospect for coal, after which he was engaged in prospecting coal mines for different companies. In 1876 he, with John Hillier and James Jones, began operating in coal at Cornell, Livingston Co., Ill., the firm name being the Cornell Coal Company, Messrs. Hillier and Jones withdrawing from the firm during the first year. He continued the business alone till 1878, when he returned toStreator and worked for the Vermillion Coal Company, and since January, 1882, he has operated in coal in the Prairie Creek Coal Shaft, near Streator. He was married in January, 1862, to Eliza Richards, of Morris, Ill. They have five children -- Mary, Lillie, Charlie, Margaret and Pearl. Mr. Howe is a member of Edina Lodge, No. 391, I. O. O. F.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Davidson Huggans, engineer, was born April 12, 1852, in New York City, and when one year old his parents removed to Freehold, N. J., and one year later removed to Ohio, and located on a farm near Dayton, Clinton County, where they resided two years. In October, 1856, he came with his parents to Bruce Township, La Salle Co., Illl., where he was reared to manhood. He is a son of James and Agnes (Rankin) Huggans, both natives of Scotland. On becoming of age he engaged in farming in Bruce Township, which he followed till 1877. He then farmed near Sibley, Ford Co., Ill., two years, after which he came to Streator and was employed as a coal miner in Shaft No. 1 for the Chicago, Wilmington & Vermillion Coal Company. At the end of two years he was engaged as engineer in the same shaft, which position he still holds. April 12, 1877, he was married to Margaret Jenkins, daughter of John Jenkins, of Streator. They have two children -- Ralph and May. Mr. Huggans is a member of Excelsior Lodge, No. 927, K. & L. of H., and has passed all the chairs in the order. He is also a prominent Good Templar and takes an active part in the cause of temperance. Politically he is a Republican.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Robert Jacobs, was born in Terrington, County of Norfolk, England, in 1848. After leaving school, at the age of ten years, he began to work as a farm hand, and when sixteen old years he went to Yorkshire, where he was employed in blast furnaces as a laborer about three years. He was then employed as a teamster in the vicinity of London about five years, when he immigrated to America, landing at Quebec, Canada, in June, 1872. He located near Toronto, where he remained four months, when he came to Illinois, remaining at East Paw Paw until November, 1873. He then settled at Streator and was employed as a miner in Shaft No. 2 by the Chicago, Wilmington & Vermillion Coal Company about two years, when he was transferred to Shaft No. 1, where he was employed as a driver till 1878. He was then placed in charge of the mules in Shaft No. 1, which position he has since held, a period of eight years, and by his industry and economy he has provided for himself a pleasant home, and also owns other property in Streator. He was married at the parish church of Bromley, England, July 5, 1871, to Mary Jane Springate, of Lewisham, County of Kent, England. He is a member of Edina Lodge, No. 391, I. O. O. F., and is Right Supporter to the Vice Grand. He is also Librarian and one of the Trustees.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jasper Johnson, Superintendent of La Salle County Carbon Coal Company, and also Superintendent of the Illinois Valley Coal Company, was born Dec. 29, 1836, in Johnson County,Ill., a son of Peter and Sarah (Harrell) Johnson. He was reared on a farm, receiving a good common-school education, and afterward taught school about two years. He then went to the Northwest, and spent four years traveling through the different States and Territories. He then returned to his native county, and was there married to Mrs. K. L. Gillespie, nee Kuykendall. He was appointed Postmaster of Vienna, this county, under James Buchanan's administration, which position he held till the breaking out of the war, when he resigned. He then enlisted in Company D, Thirty-first Illinois Infantry, and served nearly four years. At the battle of Fort Donelson he was promoted to Second Lieutenant, and in May, 1863, he was made Commissary of Subsistence, with the rank of Captain of United States Volunteers, which position took him out of the State service. He was mustered out in July, 1865, after which he came to La Salle, Ill., and was in the employ of the Northern Illinois Coal and Iron Company four years. He then went to Chicago and practiced his profession as Mining Engineer for two years. Then went into the service of the Chicago, Wilmington & Vermillion Coal Company, and was Mine Superintendent four years at Braidwood, Ill, after which he was Treasurer of the same company for six years, in its office at Chicago. He was then Superintendent of the Coal Department of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Company for one year, when he came to La Salle, Nov. 8, 1883, and became Superintendent of the La Salle County Carbon Coal Company, immediately after its organization, which position he still holds. He has also been Superintendent of the Illinois Valley Coal Company since April 1,1884.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Frank M. Lukins, was born Aug. 11, 1853, in Ophir Township, La Salle Co., Ill., and is a son of W. H. Lukins, one of the oldest residents of Streator. He received a good common-school education, and catne to Streator with his father in the fall of 1871. In 1872 he entered the employ of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad as weighmaster at Streator, and in 1873 was promoted to freight forwarding clerk, anl in 1875 to cashier, holding the latter position one and a half years. The agent then being taken sick, he was made acting agent, and in April, 1878, he was appointed agent, serving as such five years, and during that time he was also employed in the same capacity by the Chicago & Paducah and the Wabash railroads. In 1883 he was obliged to resign on account of ill health. Having regained his health in August of the same year, he was employed as Secretary of the River Bank Coal Company, and at the organization of the Streator Coal Association, in April, 1884, he was chosen its Secretary, both of which positions he now fills. May 15, 1878, he was married to Hattie E. Moon, daughter of Reese Moon, a pioneer of Livingston and La Salle counties. To them have been born three children -- Fern Reese Hays, Fanny Leah and Walter Frank. Mr. Lukins and his wife are members of the First Baptist Church of Streator, of which he is Church Clerk.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Captain John M. Madden, was born Dec. 5, 1859, in Peoria, Ill., the eldest son of Patrick and Ellen (Wolf) Madden, the father a native of Boston, Mass. , and the mother of Ireland, both living in La Salle at the present time. John M. was five years old when his parents moved to La Salle, and here he was educated in the public schools, receiving a limited knowledge of all the common branches. At the age of fifteen years he began learning the carriage-maker's trade, at which he worked seven years with F. S. Olmstead, of La Salle. In April, 1882, he was engaged as book keeper at the office of the Union Coal Company, which position he still fills. In December he was elected Captain of the Zinc City Rifles.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Thomas Shelton, grocer, was born near Manchester, England, April 27, 1840, the eldest son of John and Ann (Bates) Shelton. He was reared to maturity in his native country, and there married at the age of twenty to Elizabeth A. Leach, and to this union were born four children, three sons and one daughter. July 3, 1861, he immigrated to America with his parents and came to La Salle, where his father sank the Kroche Coal Shaft across the river from La Salle of which he was manager and superintendent for many years. Thomas Shelton was also connected with the same shaft as under manager till his father's death in 1865. He being a practical operator was associated with the sinking of several coal shafts in and around La Salle, and at the time of his connection with the coal shafts he was also engaged in farming, and now owns a fine farm three miles south of La Salle containing eighty acres on which is a good gravel bank sixteen feet in thickness. In May, 1885, he succeeded Williams & Holmes in their grocery business. His two sons assist him in the store where he carries a full line of staple and fancy groceries, crockery and queens ware. He has a large and well established trade, doing an annual business of about $30,000. His store is centrally located on Main street.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Samuel Simpkin, foreman of the Eagle Coal Mine, was born Dec. 15, 1846, in Lamberhead Green, Lancashire, England. At the age of eight years he began to work in Norley Hall Colliery as a miner, where he was employed for thirteen years. He then worked at another colliery in the same vicinity about one year. In October, 1869, he came to the United States, and first located at Minonk, Woodford Co., Illl., where he was employed as assistant foreman of the coal mines of the Minonk & Chicago Coal Company until November, 1871. He then came to Streator and mined for Harry Wonders a short time, when he was engaged as miner and fire boss by the Chicago, Wilmington & Vermillion Coal Company, in Shaft No. 2, till 1879, when he was employed in Shaft No. 1, first as miner, then as fire boss, and later as inside foreman, holding the last position about three years. In 1884 he and John Marshall sank a shaft in Livingston County, Ill., which they operated but a short time, when he was employed by the Coal Run Coal Company as general miner boss in the Eagle Shaft. In 1884 he was elected an Alderman of Streator for a term of ten years, and in 1835 he was appointed under the new election law, by the Board of Supervisors of La Salle County, Judge of Election of the Fourth Precinct of Bruce Township. April 10, 1868, he was married to Alice Taberner, of Lamberhead Green, England. They have five children living -- Henry, Mary A., Nillie M., Bertha A. and Robert D. Mr. Simpkin is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He is a member of Edina Lodge, No. 391, I. O. O. F., of which he is Past Noble Grand.

Sources :
1 Statistics of Coal In Illinois 1885 -- A Supplemental Report; State Bureau of Labor Statistics
                Reports of Mine Inspectors; For the Year Ended July1, 1885
                Springfield, ILL; H. W. Roker, State Printer and Binder, 1885

2 Statistics of Coal in Illinois, 1887
                A Supplemental Report of the State Bureau of Labor Statistics
                Springfield, ILL.; H. W. Rokker, State Printer and Binder, 1887

3 Sixth Biennial Report of the Bureau of Labor Statistics of Illinois, 1890
                Springfield, ILL.; H. W. Rokker, State Printer and Binder, 1891

4 Statistics of Coal In Illinois 1893
                Twelveth Annual Report - Springfield, ILL.; H. W. Rokker, State Printer and Binder, 1894

5 Statistics of Coal In Illinois 1894
                Thirteenth Annual Report - Springfield, ILL.; Ed. F. Hartman, State Printer, 1895

6 Statistics of Coal In Illinois 1895
                Fourteenth Annual Report - Springfield, ILL.; ED. F. Hartman, State Printer, 1896

7 Fifteenth Annual Report of the State Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1896
                Springfield, ILL; Phillips Bros. State Printers, 1897

8 Sixteenth Annual Report of the State Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1897
                Coal in Illinois - Springfield, ILL; Phillips Bros. State Printers, 1898

9 Seventeenth Annual Report of the State Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1898
                Coal in Illinois - Springfield, ILL; Phillips Bros. State Printers, 1899

10 Eighteenth Annual Report Prepared by the Illinois Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1899
                Springfield, ILL; Phillips Bros. State Printers, 1899

11 Nineteenth Annual Coal Report of the Illinois Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1900,
                also the Second Annual Report of the Illinois Free Employment Offices, for the Year Ended
                October 1, 1900, David Ross, Secretary; Springfield, -- Springfield, ILL.; Phillips Bros., State Printers, 1901

12 Twentieth Annual Coal Report of the Illinois Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1901
                also the Third Annual Report of the Illinois Free Employment Offices, for the Year Ended
                October 1, 1901, David Ross, Secretary; Springfield, -- Springfield, ILL.; Phillips Bros., State Printers, 1902

13 Twenty-first Annual Coal Report of the Illinois Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1902
                also the Fourth Annual Report of the Illinois Free Employment Offices, for the Year Ended
                October 1, 1902, David Ross, Secretary; Springfield, -- Springfield, ILL.; Phillips Bros., State Printers, 1903

14 Third Biennial Report, Bureau of Labor Statistics of Illinois, 1884
                Springfield, ILL; H. W. Roker, State Printer and Binder, 1884

15 Twenty-second Annual Coal Report of the Illinois Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1903
                also the Fifth Annual Report of the Illinois Free Employment Offices, for the Year Ended
                October 1, 1903, David Ross, Secretary; Springfield, -- Springfield, ILL.; Phillips Bros., State Printers, 1904

16 Twenty-third Annual Coal Report of the Illinois Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1904
                also the Sixth Annual Report of the Illinois Free Employment Offices, for the Year Ended
                October 1, 1904, David Ross, Secretary; Springfield, -- Springfield, Illinois State Journal, State Printers, 1905

17 Twenty-Fourth Annual Coal Report of the Illinois Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1905
                also the Seventh Annual Report of the Illinois Free Employment Offices, for the Year Ended
                September 30, 1905, David Ross, Secretary; Springfield,
                Springfield, Illinois State Journal, State Printers, 1906

18 Twenty-Fifth Annual Coal Report of the Illinois Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1906
                also the Eighth Annual Report of the Illinois Free Employment Offices, for the Year Ended
                September 30, 1906, David Ross, Secretary; Springfield,
                Springfield, ILL.; Phillips Bros., State Printers, 1907

19 Twenty-Sixth Annual Coal Report of the Illinois Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1907
                also the Ninth Annual Report of the Illinois Free Employment Offices, for the Year Ended
                September 30, 1907, David Ross, Secretary; Springfield,
                Springfield, ILL.; Phillips Bros., State Printers, 1908

20 Twenty-Seventh Annual Coal Report of the Illinois Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1908
                Springfield, Illinois; Illinois State Journal Co.. State Printers, 1909

21 Twenty-Eighth Annual Coal Report of the Illinois Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1909
                Springfield, Illinois; Illinois State Journal Co.. State Printers, 1910

22 Twenty-Ninth Annual Coal Report of the Illinois Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1910
                Springfield, Illinois; Illinois State Journal Co.. State Printers, 1911

23 Thirtieth Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1911
                State Mining Board -- Springfield, Illinois; Illinois State Journal Co.. State Printers, 1912

24 Thirty-First Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1912
                State Mining Board -- Springfield, Illinois; Illinois State Journal Co.. State Printers, 1913

25 Thirty-Second Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1913
                State Mining Board -- Springfield, Illinois; Illinois State Journal Co.. State Printers, 1914

26 Thirty-Third Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1914
                State Mining Board -- Springfield, Illinois; Illinois State Journal Co.. State Printers, 1914

27 Thirty-Fourth Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1915
                State Mining Board -- Illinois State Journal Co., State Printers, 1915

28 Thirty-Fifth Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1916
                State Mining Board -- Springfield, ILL.; Illinois State Journal Co., State Printers 1916

29 Twenty-Sixth Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1917
                Department of Mines and Minerals; Year Ended June 30, 1917
                Printed by authority of the State of Illinois; Springfield: Illinois State Journal, State Printers, 1917

30 Thirty-Seventh Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1918
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Springfield, ILL.; Illinois State Journal Co., State Printers 1918

31 Thirty-Eighth Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1919
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Springfield, ILL.; Illinois State Journal Co., State Printers 1919

32 Thirty-Ninth Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1920
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Springfield, ILL.; Illinois State Journal Co., State Printers 1920

33 Fortieth Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1921
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Phillips Bros. Print, Springfield, Illinois; 1921

34 Forty-First Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1922
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Illinois Printing Co., Danville, ILL., 1922

35 Forty-Second Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1923
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Illinois Printing Co., Danville, ILL., 1923

36 Forty-Third Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1924
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Illinois Printing Co., Danville, ILL., 1924

37 Forty-Fifth Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1925
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Illinois State Journal Co., Springfield, Illinois., 1926

38 Forty-Sixth Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1926
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Illinois Printing Co., Danville, ILL., 1927

39 Forty-Sixth Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1927
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Illinois Printing Co., Danville, ILL., 1928

40 Forty-Seventh Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1928
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Illinois Printing Co., Danville, ILL., 1929

41 Forty-Eighth Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1929
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Journal Printing Co., Springfield, ILL., 1930

42 Forty-Ninth Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1930
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Illinois Printing Co., Danville, ILL., 1931

43 Fiftieth Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1931
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Illinois Printing Co., Danville, ILL., 1932

44 Fifty-First Annual Coal Report of Illinois, 1932
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Journal Printing Co., Springfield, ILL., 1933

45 Fifty-Second Coal Report of Illinois, 1933
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Printed by authority of the State of Illinois

46 Fifty -Third Coal Report of Illinois, 1934
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Printed by authority of the State of Illinois

47 Fifty -Fourth Coal Report of Illinois, 1935
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Printed by authority of the State of Illinois

48 Fifty -Fifth Coal Report of Illinois, 1936
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Printed by authority of the State of Illinois

49 Fifty -Sixth Coal Report of Illinois, 1937
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Printed by authority of the State of Illinois

50 Fifty -Seventh Coal Report of Illinois, 1938
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Printed by authority of the State of Illinois

51 Fifty -Eighth Coal Report of Illinois, 1939
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Printed by authority of the State of Illinois

52 Fifty -Ninth Coal Report of Illinois, 1940
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Printed by authority of the State of Illinois

53 Sixtieth Coal Report of Illinois, 1941
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Printed by authority of the State of Illinois

54 Sixty First Coal Report of Illinois, 1942
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Printed by authority of the State of Illinois

55 Sixty Fourth Coal Report of Illinois, 1945
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Printed by authority of the State of Illinois

56 Coal Mines in Illinois, Will County
                Illinois State Geological Survey, 615 East Peabody Drive, Champaign, IL. 61820

57 Statistics of Coal Production in Illinois, 1883,
                A Supplemental Report of the State Bureau of Labor Statistics,
                by John S Lord, Secretary; Springfield, ILL: H. W. Rokker, Printer and Binder; 1883

58 Third Biennial Report, Bureau of Labor Statistics of Illinois, 1884
                Springfield, ILL; H. W. Roker, State Printer and Binder, 1884

59 Sixty Second Coal Report of Illinois, 1943
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Printed by authority of the State of Illinois

60 Sixty Third Coal Report of Illinois, 1944
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Printed by authority of the State of Illinois

61 Sixty Fifth Coal Report of Illinois, 1946
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Printed by authority of the State of Illinois

62 Sixty Sixth Coal Report of Illinois, 1947
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Printed by authority of the State of Illinois

63 Sixty-seventh Coal Report of Illinois, 1948
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Printed by authority of the State of Illinois

64 Sixty-eighth Coal Report of Illinois, 1949
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Printed by authority of the State of Illinois

65 Sixty-ninth Coal Report of Illinois, 1950
                Department of Mines and Minerals -- Printed by authority of the State of Illinois


Coal & Coal Mining in Illinois

© 2017    Wayne Hinton